Poll

What does your character think should be done about slavery in Lismore?

Leave it as it is! Slaves have it good here!
8 (36.4%)
Abolish it completely! Set everybody free!
1 (4.5%)
Limit it further - Only condemned people shall be made into slaves; no slaves can be imported from abroad.
4 (18.2%)
Limit it further - Only people who choose to sell/give themselves into slavery can be slaves.
4 (18.2%)
Abolish partially - No new slaves can be made or imported. Only the existing ones remain enslaved.
1 (4.5%)
Other (please post your character's opinion)
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: February 04, 2014, 04:25:29 am

Author Topic: Xahu's Secret Research! (slavery in Lismore)  (Read 19858 times)

Novaku

• Chaos Personified
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
  • Welcome, to oblivion!
    • View Profile
    • Nova's Youtube Channel
Re: Xahu's Secret Research! (slavery in Lismore)
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 02:31:10 am »
Tenaar, considering your arguments go about your OOC opinion, your Character, Your feelings, then yes I am going to point out you're being selfish in this topic.

So am I rather to argue for someone else's OOC opinion, character & feelings? I only know my own opinions, characters and feelings. How do you expect me to argue for someone else, when I feel completely differently?

Simply because this topic is not solely about your characters or your opinions, it is about the opinions, be they ICly or OOCly, of everyone else, but all you have done is arguinging about your OOC desires and your character's stand in this subject. This topic is not about that, nor is it the place to continue arguing about it further. So either step back, or go make a different topic about IC/OOC matters.
"We are nothing but pawns in the world, in this  world that is nothing but a game. Our actions, our fates are bound decided by the game, we move because the game commands us to do so. Only the players know what faith will befall us for we signify nothing but strategic movements." Valencia Versthaler

Tenaar Feiri

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2014, 02:47:47 am »
Tenaar, considering your arguments go about your OOC opinion, your Character, Your feelings, then yes I am going to point out you're being selfish in this topic.

So am I rather to argue for someone else's OOC opinion, character & feelings? I only know my own opinions, characters and feelings. How do you expect me to argue for someone else, when I feel completely differently?

Simply because this topic is not solely about your characters or your opinions, it is about the opinions, be they ICly or OOCly, of everyone else, but all you have done is arguinging about your OOC desires and your character's stand in this subject. This topic is not about that, nor is it the place to continue arguing about it further. So either step back, or go make a different topic about IC/OOC matters.

That is much more sensible than telling me that because I'm arguing with standard argumentation (presenting my viewpoint, from my perspective, with examples I have, & working off from what I know, to get my point/desire/opinion out there & try to convince others I'm right), I'm being selfish.
I already knew I was being selfish, but the way you were phrasing it before gave the impression you thought I was being selfish for the wrong reasons. I failed to wrap my head around your logic.

I fully concede this point, & will back off.

Aryn Gentlepaw

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2014, 07:00:09 am »
Hm, I know I said I voted for a limited form of slavery since I did take into account OOC desires to play slaves and have no issues with that sort of RP. But seeing this is all about our character's IC opinion of slavery, I ll just list the stance for every single character I have again:

Aryn: Abolish completely
Miri: Only sentenced criminals as a sort of civil service
Navaru: Only those who give themselves freely into slavery/servitude
Daneira: Abolish completely
Luni: is a servant, so does not mind servitude, but does not like forced servitude/slavery
Heaven starts with a smile :)

Ausar

• Super Poster
  • Demon of Plenty
    • View Profile
    • Starfall
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2014, 10:46:16 am »
I agree with many of the others who said that this issue can't be addressed without taking both the roleplay IC and the OOC motivations and desires of your playerbase into account. This doesn't always make for the most realistic gameplay, but that isn't the goal: We are here to have fun and be entertained (while entertaining our fellow players at the same time). Also keep in mind that those that play (and enjoy) slaves and their masters can at the same time have several alts who are quite opposed to the issue IC.  So I think a good compromise would be the best approach.

Now for what Xahu's spys would be able to gather from my Chars:

Lord Athian Hoggard - Doesn't mind slavery as a tool to redeem people, like criminals who get a chance to work their way back into society. Does not condone mistreatment of a slave, both physical and verbal. Would personally prefer slaves to be owned by the crown/authorities rather than individuals. They could then in turn allocate these men and women as it is needed, loaning them to people or institutions while keeping an eye on the behavior and well-being of the individual slave.

Killian - Nature has plenty examples of the weak performing services for the strong. There is little wrong with that, as long as the strong tend to and care for the weak that serve them. The truly strong, though, are those, that can let someone grow stronger at their side: While they will lose a slave at some point, they may well gain an ally.

Arondale - Doesn't mind slavery, but thinks that few people are fit to be good masters. In his opinion it isn't slavery itself that has people worried, but the tales of people mistreating their slaves.
The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.

Xela

• Global Moderator
  • Phoenix Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2014, 03:14:28 pm »
Xela - Does not like slavery (having been enslaved for a short time herself) but understands it for thoes that cannot function without it or as a form of punishment. She has strong moral views so they must be well cared for
Zeela - Strongly pro-slavery. Good for the economy, good for growth, good for her own profit. Sometimes some people must be stepped on so everyone else can can benefit. (the sacrifice for a few benefits many) She also feels slaves should be well cared for however, without good reason for punishment.
Amon - Leaning against slavery, but does not know enough about the world for a strong view.
Rune - Doesnt fully understand slavery. Comes from a place where a degree of servitude is expected from lower ranks. Happily serves those above her.
Derrin - Depends on reasons and if the slave is hot, if he can spend a night with them.
Dawn - A pet herself, does not like the idea of free will. Happy to be a slave/pet as it means she is cared for.
Crescent - Against slavery due to her past, will kill thoes who treat slaves badly.
Luna - Doesnt care.

And as an aside, I am against the idea of disregarding OOC feelings. A balance should be found between IC and OOC, else noone will have fun. There have been plenty of times I've had to act slightly out of character to keep in line with OOC reasons and wishes. Its just the way things are, as I feel doing otherwise will ruin other people's fun and may cause them to leave.