Author Topic: What are you doing on the holidays? (2011)  (Read 9950 times)

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
What are you doing on the holidays? (2011)
« on: December 21, 2011, 03:06:27 am »
So yes, just a casual post where people can say what they have planned for the 'special days' at the end of this year.

Doing anything for xmas? Anything on the New Year?

I personally don't care for the holidays, for many reasons. I don't condemn them, like some people do. But xmas is just not my style.
The New Year however, since I originally come from Brazil, New Year is a much, MUCH bigger celebration there than it is here in the U.S.. I'd compare it to the importance of the Chinese New Year, but it's not THAT excessive.  ;)

So, I like the New Year, but it will be a very small celebration here. I'm sure my in-laws are going to make some little cocktail snacks or something and hang out here. No fireworks, though. Money is too tight to be burning it like that.

As for Christmas..... I'm not looking forward to it. Why? My in-laws. They are excessive! The personification of American consumism and materialism at this time of the year. Don't get me wrong, I love getting presents, but they do it to the point of making me uncomfortable! There's the whole shebang: Heavily decorated, fire-prone xmas tree, overloaded electrical outlets with 300 extension cords coming out of them to light up the crap in the yard, visiting relatives, xmas feast (no roast beast, though)... I don't like it.
...and xmas music. I can't stand to hear a single xmas tune anymore! I feel so sorry for people who work on stores that have xmas musics playing all day long. It starts after Thanksgiving Day (late November) and will continue 'till the end of December! And I can't stand xmas music, it depresses me! Almost all of them are written in this same tone that I find incredibly depressing!

So yeah. Happy holidays? We'll see!  ;)

Novaku

• Chaos Personified
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
  • Welcome, to oblivion!
    • View Profile
    • Nova's Youtube Channel
Re: What are you doing on the holidays? (2011)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 03:14:40 am »
Oh god, you just had to bring it up didn't you? =P

Christmas...it's a love hate relationship for me, I love Christmas itself. family dinners and such I really do enjoy. We don't do presents here, such is not really common here in the Netherlands but it's making it's way in, though we also have two days of Christmas rather then one, being the first on the 25th and the second on the 26th. The time around Christmas however I simply loath, sure I like the decorations and all, so long it's done normally and not overly excessive as in a whole house covered with lights. But what I truly, truly hate are the Christmas medias, every year you hear the same damn song like Wham's "Last Christmas" over and over and over, like Ash said, I feel sorry for the people who work in stores that plays those songs all day long. And then TV, always the same old Christmas movies, Scrooge, Gringe and such, sure they're fun movies...when you see them the first two times, after a dozen time you get sick of them.

Ah well, I'll have my parents over for Christmas dinner either the 25th or the 26th, and have Christmas dinner at my brother the opposite day. As for New Year, nothing special, I'll probably spend it at my parents and have fun there, no fireworks though. While I love fireworks, in my situation I might as well burn the money I have cause that's giving me the same effect, except it's less flashy and sparkly =P
"We are nothing but pawns in the world, in this  world that is nothing but a game. Our actions, our fates are bound decided by the game, we move because the game commands us to do so. Only the players know what faith will befall us for we signify nothing but strategic movements." Valencia Versthaler

Naurel Chronos

• Nau
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 11:09:10 am »
already had Christmas with the immediate family, then Christmas with my mom's family on Saturday, Christmas with my hubby's folks on Sunday. new years we don't know what, if anything, we are doing yet, probably stay home and drink a bit, doubtful we'll do anything else.

Christmas used to be more special to me then it is now, times and moods to it change. that and it disgusts me when i hear of people restricting themselves to a budget because thier husband was laid off, then say thier 'limit' is 200 dollars per child (5 children by the way) i spend 200 dollars on 7 people! and we wonder why people get into trouble with finaces when they are taught from such a young age this spending spree at christmas.

I like Christmas music actually, especially Mannheim Steamroller and Trans-Siberian Orchestra, i listen to those year round happily.
Shape-shifter extraordinaire: Because one color is fine, but one form is just silly

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 04:15:16 pm »
Mannheim Steamroller is Ok.  :)

Jannisia

• View Profile
    • Easton Forums
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 11:15:46 pm »
Christmas isn't celebrated much with my family. We save the cheer for New Years, and are very frugal with presents.

And I'm usually sick. This year is not any different.

SO for the holidays this year, I am being kicked out of the house unless i singlehandedly remove my entire bed from my room, while so ill that I have the shakes. Yeah. Fun.
Xema Guardian, Jannisia Ocelot, and Shaden Opaline.

LadyUrsa

• Lady Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 01:12:20 am »
Ardyn and I are baking like mad women until some unknown time later today (Thursday the 22), wrapping a few things and then leaving to housesit at m y sisters over the weekend. We are also, sometime tonight, delivering 4 of the 6 baskets of 7 kinds of baked goods to various and sundry people.

Seriously, 6 baskets total ends up being something more than 500 cookies, and 12 mini loaves of bread. We are batshit insane, but damn we are having fun doing it.

Christmas eve and Christmas are likely to be quiet, just the two of us and possible intimate friends on one day or the other.

We light Hanukkah candles all this week and sometime over the weekend we will do our Solstice ritual as well.

I love this time of year, and I usually come out the other side, the end of January ready to fall over for a week or two.

We've done small amounts of shopping and we've handmade most of the family gifts, so it's shaping up to be a quietly fun, tiring and bitterly cold, season.

I will more than likely be appearing more in Lismore after everything is baked, wrapped, bought, trimmed, and had its bow put on top, but until then, if you need me for anything you can reach me through Asha, Ani, Naurel or Glasere, and I'll make an extra effort to show up or something.

Bright fires warm the cold days and bright lights cheer weary hearts, no matter what or how or even if you celebrate anything or everything(like we do).

Happy Holidays,

Ursa and Ardyn
“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?"”

~Winnie-the-pooh

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Merry Xmas!
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 06:45:38 pm »
So merry xmas to everyone, and whatever you do this time of the year, I wish you a happy time and all that!   :)

Xela

• Global Moderator
  • Phoenix Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 01:36:51 am »
Merry christmas everyone!

Its odd, I still dont feel festive at all even after presents! I've not even got decorations up in my house :3

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 06:31:53 am »

Its odd, I still dont feel festive at all even after presents! I've not even got decorations up in my house :3

Bah, humbug!

;)

Xela

• Global Moderator
  • Phoenix Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 08:49:22 am »

Bah, humbug!

;)

Spent lots on presents, if that makes things better. Once I get back from seeing family, Going to do christmas things at Lismore too :D

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 02:29:27 pm »
And a happy new year to everyone!!  :)

Dr. Ken Mellendorf

• Davos Weissmann
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 11:13:55 am »
Happy end of the world year, everyone!