Poll

Do we Fast-Forward time or build Super-Fast?

Fast-Forward 2 years!
10 (76.9%)
Say everything was built super-fast with magic!
3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: December 21, 2012, 04:05:33 am

Author Topic: Fast-Forward vs. Fast Building  (Read 9514 times)

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Fast-Forward vs. Fast Building
« on: December 19, 2012, 04:05:33 am »
Because of diverging opinions about this amidst the staff, we decided to put it up for a vote with the players:

Lismore was invaded, and ruined! Now re-building efforts have begun!

The original idea was to say 2 years have passed, and within that time, civilization was restored to the land. But some think we could simply keep time relatively normal, and say the city and all were re-built using magic and the help of all those brutes we have around that have insisted into putting in their cards stuff like "can lift 600lbs!".  ;)

The main argument for the fast-forward is that it gives a realistic timeframe for the place to be re-built.

Some arguments against it are that people will want to justify 2 years of updates for their characters; people won't be aware of the time lapse or will have trouble accounting for it in their character development; certain things that happen in shorter times (such as pregnancies) won't get played through.

If we were to go with not fast-forwarding time, it's been suggested that all the crazy extra free-floating mana from the Zenko could be channeled to justify super-fast construction (in our discussion of the matter, someone said "just say a wizard did it;) ).

So, do we fast-forward, or use MAGIC! to re-build the island? Please vote!
Comments? Suggestions? Opinions? Share them!  :)

Jay Voncloud

• Loverble Mana Currupted fox
    • View Profile
Re: Fast-Forward vs. Fast Building
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 04:20:18 am »
The only thing i can see being an issue is that by what i can gather the island is still being fought for, so somewhere along the lines we need to have pushed the remaining raiders back, That i feel needs to also be taken into account.

Tenaar Feiri

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 07:55:07 am »
Fast-forward imo!

Lou

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 12:36:33 pm »
I'm not quite comfortable with the thought of skipping over two entire years of character development and fleshing out relations with other people's characters. Personal opinion only.
Too many characters to list.

Hyper weapon.

Drubunneh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 12:39:05 pm »
Honestly if we can fast forward time with perhaps the time flux that Lismore is sort of in coming into play so people's character development isn't messed up I think that would be preferrable

Agir Avro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 02:47:39 pm »
Alright, I have a bit of an idea about all this.

We've got a giant magical thing floating around right? A huge powerhouse that's never been seen before, right? What if the fast-forward is caused by it? A spacial warp caused by the explosion and dump of mana into the world shall we say. Some people might know varying stages in the timeline, which could make some very strange interactions in the roleplay. Maybe even do a lottery so we have random groups of people that know different things.

'Course, it's just an idea to mix things up a little and make things interesting.

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 07:00:32 pm »
I'm not quite comfortable with the thought of skipping over two entire years of character development and fleshing out relations with other people's characters. Personal opinion only.

Of course there's that. But let's not forget that time in the RP is already weird as it is. Because of how the day cycle works in SL, 1 RL day is equal to 6 day-cycles in SL.

With that in mind, we always say that time and dates are only accounted for when it's convenient, otherwise someone can sit at the bar in the 'evening' and if the RP is going in that area for a while, several days would have passed by the time they leave.

So, the concept of two years passing isn't really to represent actual time that passed that robed people of the opportunity to further develop their characters - time is passing at an accelerated rate in Lismore no matter what -, but because it's convenient to say there was time for things to be re-built.

Many times players come about saying "I was away from SL for a while, can I say my character went off to the mountains and trained for many months to learn a new skill/look different/had a baby/-something-else-that-takes-time-to-happen-?". Some have also had pregnancies that, according to SL day cycles, would have lasted a year or more, and some have the super-fast "a few weeks" versions of that; and children in the RP grow up when it's convenient (usually when their players got tired of playing children). Thus time in the RP is a completely mad thing!

The whole "TWO YEARS HAVE PASSED!" thing is then just an official time-skip that would only really come into play if someone just so happened to ask "how long did it take to re-build after the attack?". And if you ask "what would everybody have done during that time?", well, everybody was re-building! There wasn't time for anything else.  ;)

...and because I have to remain politically neutral, I need to make an argument for the other option too... So let's see...
Saying simply "a wizard did it" simplifies things so there's no need to try to understand the time skip or even speak of it.

Also puts to use the crazy magical thing floating around, says it was all spent up to power the magic that re-built the place.

It's a simple solution that doesn't require advanced explanation or understanding of SL day cycles and RP time and all that wibbly wobbly timey wimey thing, and doesn't rob anyone of potential stuff their characters would have done in 2 years time.

Radem

• Global Moderator
  • Here comes purple bunny tail...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 11:25:09 pm »
How terribly diplomatic.

Anyway, I'm against the time fast forward because it creates a lot of confusion and leaves open a lot of questions about character development, what happened, all that.

In trade for that, what does it gain us? A "believable" explanation of why things are rebuilt. Believability surrounding the environment is not the most important thing, IMO.

I still say the most fun thing would be to leave the place wrecked for a little while to let people play in the aftermath, as that potentially makes for good story, but I know I'm outvoted there since you (Ash) have concern about the face of the sim looking pretty.

Jannisia

• View Profile
    • Easton Forums
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 03:16:27 pm »
To be brutally honest, I'd already put plans into the two year skip and having it explain a few things with some of my characters. I think it's a great idea, and it gives people a chance to, say, make their characters a bit more mature.
Xema Guardian, Jannisia Ocelot, and Shaden Opaline.

Zerah Cero

• @{Cookie Stealer}@
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 12:51:00 pm »
I am pretty much for it. Means that my other characters had their time to not only aid the city in it's needs, but also time to work on new spells. Good time for an update if you want to put in something nice. :3