Author Topic: Prototypes underway! new standardized equipment for the grunts!  (Read 8585 times)

Caex

• Magetech Engineer
    • View Profile
Hello everyone. Lieutenant lanterns here from the Zenko recherche and development division. many of you may be wondering if i've been in the nip tea again, the short answer is yes, the long answer is a bit more complicated so i'll just leave it at yes. however while under the influences of the nip... oh that wonderfull nip, makes me purr like a kitten... well anyway while under the influence of the nip i started working on a few projects to get the zenko up to snuff with some standardized equipment. i realize many of us who join honestly want to help but we lack any actual weapons of our own. so with the aid of the lovely nip tea and many sleepless nights, i managed to work up a few prototypes. unfortunately many of them arent able to see the light of day just yet, but they're getting there!

the first prototype seeks to arm our crossbowmen with a unified crossbow. many of our current crossbowmen are using something that's been hobbled together or bought off of a merchant ship and suffering from a bit of rust and ware, so without further adue, i present the Zenko's unified crossbow, the Mano. this crossbow utilizes an internal holding system, while i haven't quite figured out how to make the crossbow repeating like the chinese have managed, i have figured out how to fix the problem most crossbows have, and that's if you fumble the blasted thing you loose the bolt. with the internal holding area, once you slide in the bolt from underneath the crossbow and pull back the leaver, you aren't loosing the bolt less you pull the trigger. i took a few design eliments from dwarven crossbows and Chinese cannons, so i hope that the crossbow will serve us well. the crossbow is capable of handling any standard bolt, however specialized bolts or heavy bolts will require special modifications to the internals to cope with the larger round. the Zenko crossbow can be found at the quartermaster in the zenko tavern, upstairs with the rest of the armors.

i'm also working on some standardized sword, axe, and shield designs, as well as a standardized bow. i also plan on making a civilian varriant of each. so if you're not a member of zenko you can still defend yourself should you find yourself outside of our walls. 

so far the sword is proving difficult. found a way utilizing clockwork to cause the blade to extend a little bit, a sort of double sheath if you will! unfortunately i'm having issues finding studry enough gears and cogs but none the less, i could use some help perfecting the zenko sword the Unauna! here's what i have so far.

i've also been working on an axe, the Niu, but it seems to be lacking something. oh well i'll figure it out sooner or later!

if you would like to requisition either the sword, or the axe, please fill out a experimental weapons requisition form and retrieve a signature from Relina. after that's done please find me somewhere in zenko so i can snag one for you. now if you think i'm using some sort of rare metals in this that it's superbly powerful, you're a tad bit daft. the blade for the sword and the axe are iron for the moment and much of the cogs and other bits are copper. not only that but it's molded metal not folded. if you would like a folded blade please wait, these are only the prototypes, and even then i still need enough data to work out all the kinks. so test out what we have currently and bare with me while i try and finish the work.

if you're wanting to requisition the crossbow, please put in a transfer request to join the zenko crossbowmen as their use at the moment is restricted. if you're wanting the civilian variants of any of these, i do apologize but i dont have any at the moment. need to prefect the military ones before i can strip them down a bit.

Remember, the zenko recherche and development division needs YOU to test out our gear and equipment.
any zenko participating in the testing is required at least one scribed note per week on things they notice about the weapons in question.

Sen

• View Profile
Re: Prototypes underway! new standardized equipment for the grunts!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 02:10:55 pm »
(( Nice job, Caex :D Are these the final textures that're gonna be used? I love the look of the sword, especially, tho the hand guard looks rather prickly on the swordbearer's side :o

As for the axe, I think what you need is something big and possibly ornate between the handle's top and the segmented prickly bits. This would also help the axe blade appear to be sprouting sideways, rather than spilling up and over. I'd think you would want the blade to be side-mounted, rather than top-mounted, to make it more resistant to impact? I don't know. ))

Caex

• Magetech Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 04:20:48 pm »
yup, those are the final textures for the prototypes. the blade textures may change depending on what the blade is made out of but those are pretty much the final textures.  the axe is honestly the one that gave me the most trouble design wise. trying to keep a similar look betwene all the weapons rather than have them be entirely diffrent from one another.

but as for combative stats, here ya go.

Prototypes are all made using a combonation of iron, copper, and brass with small bits of gold. the main part of the weapon is made of iron, while not as good as other meterials, it is cheep, and fairly easy to come across, so is perfect for mass production. the copper, brass, and gold are used for the internals of the weapons, utalizing the inate natures of the meterials and their compadibility with clockwork.

the axe is simply an axe and has the same stats as any other iron axe.

the sword has the ability to enlongate itself a little bit to givei t a little added leingth in times of need. it's still just iron, copper, brass, and gold so it's not the most resiliant thing out there.

the crossbow is made out of copper, brass, gold, wood, and well, it has a standard bow string. it has bits of tass worked in with it to help power some of the clockwork bits inside it. the crossbow has the same standard stats as any other crossbow, it shoots bolts, what the user does with these bolts is up to them.  the crossbow however has potential for upgrades, higher grade string,  metal bow, compact variants, among other things but none of those upgrades are currently available. the special note about the crossbow is that if someone fumbles it while a bolt is loaded, it will not loose the bolt like other crossbows, so it will not fire unless you actively pull the trigger. it also has a leather arm rest for those who actually like to aim properly.

the crossbow has a loading port on  the underside where the bolt is slid in, after the bolt is in, one simply pulls back on  the leaver and they're ready to fire. note, that with higher tension strings or wire upgrades, this may become increasingly difficult to do.

Jay Voncloud

• Loverble Mana Currupted fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:49:55 am »
Why do the swords have a sort of..soul edge feel to them, also i wonder if i could make a character specific request for armament as Jay is unable to wield weapons of any sort.

Caex

• Magetech Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 02:26:01 am »
well i do take comissions, but what sorta thing did you have in mind?

Jannisia

• View Profile
    • Easton Forums
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 02:13:37 pm »
Shamaelistor, who regularly stops by to help Jack as an assistant, has noted that the addition of clockwork will weaken the blade considerably. If an extra sword is available, he will go further into the matter by gripping it by the hilt and putting his foot on the blade, snapping the blade off without much effort.

(Really, clockwork to extend the blade weakens it ridiculously. the part that you have the clockwork in is the part that is supposed to be completely solid in order to stabilize the blade, and having the blade as a separate piece makes it easy to snap right off. If you have the materials and time to make the blade like this, you should honestly just make a bevy of good quality NORMAL swords. The only reason this didn't happen IC is that I can never seem to catch you when you're online, I DO have Sham ICly do tasks for Jack a lot.)
Xema Guardian, Jannisia Ocelot, and Shaden Opaline.

Jay Voncloud

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 11:48:51 am »
bladed gauntlets, ones that fit over the tass on his wrists

Caex

• Magetech Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 03:56:38 pm »
i wouldn't be able to produce a quality one without a replica of your forearms and hand

Jay Voncloud

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 12:35:24 am »
ill get them to you as and when i can be bothered to get to lismore x3