Author Topic: Phoenix Discussion  (Read 14154 times)

Xela

• Global Moderator
  • Phoenix Ruler
    • View Profile
Phoenix Discussion
« on: July 13, 2011, 11:53:13 pm »
Got anything you want to talk about reguarding Phoenix? Do so here!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 03:08:52 pm by LadyUrsa »

Jaecar Ulrik

• Global Moderator
  • Buttscratcher?
    • View Profile
Re: Phoenix Discussion ; As well as Phoenix Alarm System?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 06:48:36 pm »
I figure this was the correct place to put this. But here we go...
(Written from a guards perspective.)
I have been wondering, because to the best of my knowledge (which isn't much regarding the caves nowadays) there isn't a warning system (I.E. Zenko Bells) So say if a Balrog attacked, or invasion of demonic spider ducks, youd have to spare a player to send out the warning...unless you totally want to b.s. it and make an npc do it. But i think i have figured out a solution.

Plan A: Ok, say somethings going on and you need to A. get backup from outside of the caves, and/or B. Alert everyone else that somethings going. Say you get a split second you could do Guardsman 1 scribbles down a note, ties it to [insert small message bird here], calmly tells it to report to the dock master and releases [said bird] .  Then said bird flies to dock captain who, then reads said message, sounds some type of alrarm, as well as sending a boatsman to the city to set off a bell/alarm there. Which OOCly allows you to Post an IC message in group chat for help/assistance/or to notify.

Plan B: Have a giant horn at the top of Phoenix Castle, that icly would have a small tunnel leading to the surface, so sound could travel. That then allows you to run over and blow on the horn then posting message. Or you can do the whole bird thing, just replacing the dockmaster with Hornsman.

Ok...I think thats it for now  ;) Gonna apologize now for anything i said/did wrong. Was just at work, being bored so i started to think....and yea well...here's about 10 minutes worth of thinking xD
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:10:16 am by LadyUrsa »

Jannisia

• View Profile
    • Easton Forums
Re: Phoenix Discussion
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 11:55:38 pm »
Well, you have my full permission to use my character Jannisia as a messenger in such cases if you want, she's a fast flier and spends most of her time in the caves with her mate.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:10:42 am by LadyUrsa »
Xema Guardian, Jannisia Ocelot, and Shaden Opaline.

Xela

• Global Moderator
  • Phoenix Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 12:12:39 am »
I'm not sure how practical messenger birds would be in a impending combat situation, and I was original going to go for an idea of having an alarm gong just outside the caves that a guard of messenger would run to for sounding the alarm.

But, I like the idea of the horn to echo out the alarm through the whole caves for everyone to hear. :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:11:03 am by LadyUrsa »

Novaku

• Chaos Personified
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
  • Welcome, to oblivion!
    • View Profile
    • Nova's Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 01:29:58 am »
Just a note here, a large sounding horn to alert people in the caves is ok, that would be similar the Zenko bells for example.

A messenger bird however, unless someone actually ICly plays a bird that goes to the other team with a message, it's a no go since it borderlines metagaming (Cause you can just send a notecard to said back-up or IM then.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:18:44 am by LadyUrsa »
"We are nothing but pawns in the world, in this  world that is nothing but a game. Our actions, our fates are bound decided by the game, we move because the game commands us to do so. Only the players know what faith will befall us for we signify nothing but strategic movements." Valencia Versthaler

Jay Voncloud

• Loverble Mana Currupted fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 02:21:05 am »
Prehaps what it could be, is a signel fire, ontop of the cave entrance could be a large torch, and from within the castle, a little lever that is pull that would set it on fire, lord of the rings style? No?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:19:00 am by LadyUrsa »

Jaecar Ulrik

• Global Moderator
  • Buttscratcher?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 07:35:04 am »
I thought about the fire thing, but who's really gonna pay attention to a fire? I mean sure if i glance and see it....but its not like "BLAG IM AN ALARM RINGING BUGGING YOU" you know?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:19:17 am by LadyUrsa »

Jay Voncloud

• Loverble Mana Currupted fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 09:05:42 am »
it worked for Gondor
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:19:34 am by LadyUrsa »

Naurel Chronos

• Nau
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 03:09:07 pm »
yes it worked for gondor, but they knew to be watching for it :3
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:19:51 am by LadyUrsa »
Shape-shifter extraordinaire: Because one color is fine, but one form is just silly

Xela

• Global Moderator
  • Phoenix Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 04:43:52 pm »
I must say, I do like the idea for a giant horn. Would also give rp opportunities getting a group together to hunt down something with a big enough horn! (or... take the easy option and ask around for someone to help make one)

Jaecar Ulrik

• Global Moderator
  • Buttscratcher?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 09:02:44 pm »
it worked for Gondor

Shhhhhh, noone remembers that  :P

you make a valid point though. I just never thought burning that much wood was necessary UNLESS for an invasion or so.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:20:12 am by LadyUrsa »

Sen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 07:40:11 am »
it worked for Gondor

Shhhhhh, noone remembers that  :P

you make a valid point though. I just never thought burning that much wood was necessary UNLESS for an invasion or so.

It worked for the Great Wall of China, too o.o
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:20:31 am by LadyUrsa »

Novaku

• Chaos Personified
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
  • Welcome, to oblivion!
    • View Profile
    • Nova's Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 12:46:20 pm »
Yes but keep in mind, those are open spaces, this is a cave, you cannot see the fire from every part of the cave.

I still say the horn is your best choice, I mean, it's a cave, it echoes. You're sure to be heard.
"We are nothing but pawns in the world, in this  world that is nothing but a game. Our actions, our fates are bound decided by the game, we move because the game commands us to do so. Only the players know what faith will befall us for we signify nothing but strategic movements." Valencia Versthaler

LadyUrsa

• Lady Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 07:17:35 am »
Remember that giant horns do not all have to be made of animal horns, some are made of wood and metal, the alphorns of Switzerland f'instance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphorn

and here is a link for such a thing from the Marketplace  -
http://tinyurl.com/3g4ng8l

Phoenix might know of a couple people who can grow big plants...

Hope this helps!
“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?"”

~Winnie-the-pooh

Xela

• Global Moderator
  • Phoenix Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 10:06:56 am »
Thanks Ursa!
My comment about finding a big enough animal was mainly a joke, but Jay is helping me come up with a plot to get hold of one. We'll need Zenko and the temple's help for enchantments and materials most likely! :)