Poll

What should be the official Lismorean holiday for the fall season?

Harvestmoon (Thanksgiving)
3 (33.3%)
Harrowmoon (Halloween)
6 (66.7%)
Other... (please explain in the comments)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: September 05, 2015, 02:11:07 am

Author Topic: Event-Planning Poll: Celebrations for the fall season  (Read 4514 times)

Ausar

• Super Poster
  • Demon of Plenty
    • View Profile
    • Starfall
Event-Planning Poll: Celebrations for the fall season
« on: August 22, 2015, 02:11:07 am »
Hey there, everyone. As you all know, we have established the Winter Festival and the Springfire Festival as official holidays within Lismore that get a decorated town and many IC opportunities for characters to mix and mingle while attending the celebrations. I would like to add a third official celebration to the mix. Currently I am mostly torn what could/should be the theme for this celebration. It could be something like Thanksgiving or rather something inspired by Halloween.

To get an idea what you, the players and patrons like best, I will put it to popular vote here. I will add the option of 'other' if you dislike both ideas (or have an even better one in mind). But please, should you vote 'other', leave a message with your ideas what this other kind of celebration might be. Of course you are also free to express ideas and wishes in regards to both other options.

Here a brief basic idea how these could tie into Lismore. The names are still debatable, if you got better ideas, out with it:

Harvestmoon  (= Thanksgiving)

People would join together to celebrate a good harvest done. There probably would be some ceremonies at the various shrines for the faithful to offer their thanks to the gods and spirits. Priests from the temple could offer to come and bless/ward the pantries of people, while in a big public ceremony the granary in town would get that same blessing. Of course there would be a big banquet and a dance. Also some odd rites and games that are meant to ensure a good harvest for the following year, which range from tame and playful, like kids competing to get small handfuls of seeds from the head farmer to the lewd games of the Phoenix crew, where the young men are encouraged to fertilize the farmlands for the following year in a rather crude fashion.

Harrowmoon (= Halloween)

It is the time of year when the spirits demand the attention of the living. Usually it is common practice among families to come together and share stories of their forebears, to praise their heroics, mourn their losses, reflect upon mistakes done. It is also a time when people are encouraged to make peace with the departed by fulfilling wishes they never had the time to do during their lifetime. Children and many young adult folks like to crowd the streets and go from house to house to beg for edible gifts for the spirits (that usually end up eaten by the same youngsters, but apparently in fond memory of their ancestors). Some of them like to dress up as spirits, too. Since it is so close to the harvest, a lot of people like to carve pumpkins into lanterns to flood the town with eerie faces and images glowing in the dark of the Harrowmoon night.
The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.

Ani

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
  • Master of Bugcats
    • View Profile
Re: Event-Planning Poll: Celebrations for the fall season
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 02:24:30 am »
In the past, the spirits of the departed are sometimes known to visit their loved ones in Lismore at Halloween time. :) maybe we can incorporate that?

Aryn Gentlepaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 02:45:10 am »
*Navaru rubs his hands* Can certainly help with the spirit visiting part :P
Heaven starts with a smile :)

Ausar

• Super Poster
  • Demon of Plenty
    • View Profile
    • Starfall
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 02:45:27 am »
Sure, nothing is set in stone yet, so all interesting proposals could make it into the final holiday. Also keep in mind that what Lord Athian plans to do around a holiday in no way limits what traditions your individual characters might pursue. I am pretty sure there will be many faces to a holiday, next to the public one a myriad of private interpretations. :)
The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.