Author Topic: Fawn: A Woman of the Deer People  (Read 34203 times)

fawn

• My name is Fawn. I'm a deer.
    • View Profile
    • Che Monro
Re: Fawn: A Woman of the Deer People
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2012, 02:01:26 am »
People started to gather on the temple steps and talk about what had happened. I sat there cradling my babies in my arms and listened. Cale had gone over the border and shot someone with a bow and arrow. Then he'd come back and the pirates had come and captured him and taken him back. Nobody was too sure what was going to happen. People said the woman he had shot would probably live, they had got her to the healer Naurel in time.

Nobody knew why he had shot her, but people seemed to accept that he had done it. They were a lot less happy about the idea of the pirates taking our people on our side of the border without so much as a by-your leave. If they could a scout then who couldn't they take? Was anybody safe any more? I'd been feeling that way for a long while, maybe forever.

Then Glassere and Novaku came out and joined us and it became more or less an official tribal meeting.

Some were in favor or charging over there en-mass and freeing Cale, even if it meant starting a war, but in the end cooler head's prevailed.

"They have cannons pointed at the temple!" A scout pointed out. "They have muskets and powder to our bows and arrows. They have more fighters than we do. If it comes to a fight we can't possibly win." That cooled things down a lot.

"What can we do?" someone asked. "They come over here, killing and capturing whoever they like, and it's like there's nothing we can do about it."

"We just have to enforce the treaty!" A male shouted. "When they break it they get punished!"

"But they break it all the time!" I protested. "They killed a male right in front of me, right in front of a cub, under the Mother's tree, and nobody even protested the sacrilege!"

"He wasn't a tribesmember. That doesn't matter!"

"The took Shadow and Bundy," I started.

"She attacked them! She set fires! She deserved it!"

I ignored the interruptions and went on. "They took Glassere. They shot a guest down in cold blood under the Mother's tree. They took Aeon. They came and took Cale. How long will you wait before you do something? Will you wait till they come for your family? Will you wait till they come for you? How long?"

The meeting exploded in the same arguments, over and over, again and again. Some were in favour of fighting. Some wanted to negotiate. Some said we should leave and start a colony somewhere else, somewhere with no pirates.

Novaku hated this last idea: I think it felt like giving up to him. "This is our home," he said. "We've fought for this place. We've bled for it. We were here first. We can't just leave." Unexpectedly he turned to me, I guess he thought I was about the most stay-at-home tribes-member, and would support him. "What do you think, Fawn?" he asked. "We can't just leave our home? Our temple? Our sacred island?"

I scowled and looked down at my hooves on the marble and muttered my answer. Nobody could hear, they called for me to speak up.

"I said Aeon wanted to leave!" I shouted at them, suddenly angry. "He asked me to go with him! And I said YES!" This woke the babies up, of course, and they started to wail. So I took them inside, fed them, changed them, and hid them securely in a laundry hamper. I tried to let the familiar routine calm me, but I was sweating and my heart was pounding.

I went back out to the steps to watch. The arguments went on and one. Nothing was decided. No consensus was reached. Eventually the meeting broke up into little knots of people, then they started to drift away. Novaku in particular was fuming. I think the inaction galled him. The indecision. The weakness. I think he longed for action. He stalked off into the gathering dusk. That was the last time I ever saw him.
Bamika Easterman

fawn

• View Profile
    • Che Monro
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2012, 02:00:04 am »
In the morning there was utter chaos. The pirates rampaged across the island tearing things apart, demanding to know where Novaku and Cale were. The guardians tried to stop them but they were in disarray, leaderless. Nobody knew where Novaku was.

I hid in the cellar with other temple staff. Pirates came and dragged us out of there demanding to know where the fugitives were. We protested we knew nothing, and they started shouting at us. At this point a few scouts showed up and then the arguments started for real. It turned out that Novaku had gone over there alone and freed Cale. They'd fought with Tiber and both escaped. But if so, where were they? The pirates were sure we were hiding them.

Without anyone to tell them what to do the scouts were totally disorganised. I think Tiber could have taken over the island then and there if he'd realised how paralysed everyone was. But I heard they had their own troubles over there.

While the shouting was going on I crawled away quietly, clutching my babies to my breast. I hid us behind the storage jars on the lowest shelf of the kitchen pantry and curled up and slept.
Bamika Easterman

fawn

• View Profile
    • Che Monro
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2012, 02:38:42 am »
Bad dreams. I was being chased by a snarling hyena who wanted to eat my babies, I gathered them up and ran, heart pounding in my chest. I had to get away... And I woke, trotting along the stone parapet at the edge of the temple's roof. I froze, and skidded to a stop. What was I doing up here?

Far below the waves surged and crashed against the rocks at the foot of the cliff the temple was built on.

"Fawn? Come down from there? Please?" I turned to look, and everyone was staring at me, heads poked out of a windows set in the temple's roof. Scouts, guardians, monks, Glassere, Jeduh. Staring. Ashara awoke in my arms and bleated at me, hungry. I hopped down from the stone lip and climbed up across the tiles and a dozen hands pulled us in through the window.

"What were you doing? You could have fallen!"

"What's going on?"

"We're you trying to kill yourself?"

"Why were you screaming?"

"What's going on, Fawn?"

I put Ashara on the breast and let her suck. "I had a bad dream, that's all," I muttered. "I was asleep."

"Was she going to throw herself and her children off the roof?" One maiden whispered to another.

"She's been acting weird for a while."

"I was asleep!" I protested. "I must have been sleepwalking." Even now none of it really seemed real to me somehow. I seriously wondered if I was still asleep.

Then Glassere seized me in a tight hug that was completely unexpected. "Fawn, don't do that again! You might have fallen, you and your babies! We were terrified!"

I flushed, my snout buried in his furry shoulder. "I'm sorry," I mumbled. "I'm sorry. I don't know why it happened."

As if it was a signal everybody began talking about me, not to me. Glassere released me and turned to the healers. "Can't you do anything? Why has this woman been left unsupervised?"

"She has a head injury!" one of the temple healers protested. "Nobody on the island can heal her?"

"Has the healer Naurel looked at her?"

"She was the first one."

Glassere reached out and took my shoulders and held me in his paws. For some reason I felt like crying. I was a failure as a mother. "Well as anyone tried talking to her?" He asked.

The male drew himself up. "We are healers. We use our magic to heal the sick and injured. We don't have time to talk to people: That's a priest's job!"

Glassere sighed and shooed everyone away and led me down to the priests room and made me sit, in a chair, something I never did. "I'll send for some tea," he said.

"I can't get that!" I tried to get to my feet. It's kind of difficult, these chair things really take practice.

"No, Fawn, sit," he commanded. "I'm sending for someone else to make it. You sit here and drink it."

"Yes, High Priest," I murmured, looking down.

So he sent for another temple maiden to make the tea, and bring it, and serve it to us. I'd never been so embarrassed!

I put the babies down to sleep in a chair and we waited for the tea. After we'd been served and sipped it in appreciative silence Glassere asked "Fawn, what's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Please, Fawn, I can see you're unhappy and I want to help."

"It's nothing. I'm just... having trouble sleeping. I'll get through it."

"Fawn, I don't think anyone says this enough, but we all love you. You're family. The temple is a family. You can't crack up on us, we need you."

"Aeon needed me. Aeon cared about me. Nobody else here really needs me, and they wouldn't notice if I was gone."

"People look up to you, Fawn. They listen to you because they know you care. People know that they can come to the temple and get a cheerful welcome and a cup of tea from you, no matter how bad things get. The fact it we need that more than ever right now. Whether you believe it or not you're important to this tribe and it wouldn't be the same without you. You're important to me."

I blushed and looked down at my hooves, and swallowed. It's surprisingly hard to hear that people care about you.

"So what's wrong?" Glassere asked.

"I don't know. I can't get it worked out, it all goes around and around in my head. Aeon. No sleep. My babies. The pirates. Bad dreams. I dream that I can't find my babies, someone's trying to hurt my babies and I can't get away, the pirates are invading, males with sword and there's  a terrible smell of blood and fire... I'm running and trying to find them and calling and calling, the blood, the terrible blood, my babies, they'll hurt them and the pirates and my babies and my babies and my babies and my babies..."

This stream of words just poured out of me. I didn't know what I was saying through the tears, but but Glassere reached out and stroked my shoulder with his furry paw and eventually I ran down or drew a breath or something and he asked.

"Fawn... Who are Marduk and Tiamat?"

"Who?" I just looked up and blinked at him stupidly. I didn't recognize the names, and yet, I did, it felt like a chasm had opened up beneath me.

"Marduk and Tiamat. You said those names, and you shouted them before when you were walking in your sleep."

"Marduk and Tiamat? Oh Goddess! They're dead! I'd forgotten: they're my babies and they're dead, they killed them. They killed my babies and I forgot!" And I collapsed into tears, grieving for a loss so old and so deep I'd forgotten all about it.

Things were better after that. I still had trouble sleeping sometimes, but the dreams retreated now I knew what they meant. Sometimes I still felt terrible fear, but I curled up into a ball and tried to breathe deeply until it passed over. Some days I still didn't feel like going on, but I worked through it. I put on a smile for my babies and my tribe, and carried on and eventually I started to feel better. I have sleep walked once or twice since that I know of, always in times of great stress and anxiety, but it's very rare for me. My daughter Gaia does it all the time.

I could now remember a little bit about my childhood and my life in the forest. I remembered Marduk and Tiamat and the attack of the slavers. After that though, it was a blank until my vague dreamlike visions of the slave ship and meeting the mother goddess. I supposed I would never know what had happened in between: my life was a mystery to me.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:07:44 am by fawn »
Bamika Easterman

fawn

• View Profile
    • Che Monro
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 12:17:40 am »
Next morning trouble arrived at the temple. I was sitting on the temple steps enjoying a cup of tea and trying to collect my shattered thoughts when it limped up. David (the tiger who was called Brisbane) and Ursa, his sister the bear. Between them they bore grim looks and the hybrid caline healer Naurel. She was covered in bruises. I put my cup down on the steps and got to my feet and hurried over to them, "Welcome in peace, um, do you need a healer?"

"Yes."

I turned back to the temple and shouted. "Healer! We need a healer here! We have a casualty! Healer!" That soon enough had tribal healers scurrying to our side. Tutting, they gathered up Naurel and bore her off for treatment.

"Who's your leader now, girl," David gruffed. "We need to speak to them."

"Um, that would be Glassere, the high priest, I guess. He was second in command, and now..."

"Fetch him."

But there was no need, because Glassere had already appeared at the top of the steps, priestly staff in hand. He bowed and smiled at the two new arrivals, his fangs shining whitely in his black face. "Welcome in Peace, how may I be of service?"

"We seek sanctuary," Brisbane said. "Will you give it?"

"Hmmm. We will if we can. All are welcome here who come in peace." He ushered them into the temple and guided them towards the door of the priest's room. I trailed along behind. We stopped outside the door, and Glassere turned and asked: "Last I heard you were members of Tibur's band, living over on the other side. What happened?"

Ursa now spoke up for the first time. "We had to leave. I found Barabas, one of Tibur's lieutenants, abusing Naurel and I killed him." The bear must be a lot more fearsome when roused: Tibur's lieutanants were all grizzled, seasoned veterans, yet she spoke of killing one like it was an everyday occurrence.

My stomach recoiled in horror and I gasped. "Right action is to refrain from violence and killing!"

David turned to glare at me. "What would you have done?" he demanded.

"I would have run away."

"And what if you can't run away? What if someone you love was being beaten and tortured?"

"Then I would suffer."

"Bah! You're useless! Pathetic!"

"I am what I am," I murmured sadly.

David turned back to Glassere, fellow carnivore, and snarled. "Do we have to talk in front of this crazy deer?"

"Fawn follows the path of peace," Glassere said, "And I respect her for it. If she wishes to participate in the conversation she is welcome."

So of course after that I stood and looked down at my hooves in silence for the whole time that they talked.
Bamika Easterman

fawn

• View Profile
    • Che Monro
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2012, 12:19:13 am »
The next couple of days were surprisingly calm. Just when you expect the sky to fall in, nothing happens.   Ursula expressed an interest in learning more about our beliefs, she said, rather shyly, she'd often wondered about becoming a priestess. After talking with her Glassere lent her some scrolls.

I was dumbstruck. It made no sense to me. She was a killer: how could someone like that possibly have a religious vocation? I guess Glassere saw something in her that I could not.

I was feeling more myself, but I was still anxious. The presence of the newcomers didn't help, and the ever present threat of the pirates and their cannon across the border was like a black cloud over me. It's hard to get well when the world around you is going crazy.

So I continued to hide myself and my fawns in out of the way corners, especially when it was time to sleep. We'd curled up in the bottom of the laundry hamper in the priests room underneath a pile of dirty linen and I'd quite drifted off when I was suddenly awoken by voices nearby.

It was Glassere, and the newcomer, David. Glassere didn't bother me, I knew he was alright, but David was more worrying, and that tugged the thread of my anxiety and stopped me from immediately drifting off again, so I listened.

They were talking about Tibur, his guns, his soldiers, his agents buying gunpowder and recruiting fighters  in other nearby ports. He was going to attack, David insisted. He was going to strike soon.

Of course, I thought, snuggling into a tighter ball. Surely everyone knows that? Surely anyone can see it. I'd been living with the certainty they would attack and kill my babies for months now. Surely everyone felt it? I sighed silently and let my body go limp.

Glassere was unconvinced, he was asking questions, probing details. Yes, but.. What about... Surely you don't mean...

David's words slowly drifted into my dreams and I saw them, the smiths beating at the hot metal, hammers ringing night and day. Ploughshares beaten into swords, guns, canon, the metal pouring, pounding, hammering, beaten into weapons, beaten into fighters, beaten into soldiers. Soldiers marching, shouting, fighting, explosions, the roar of battle.

She turned to me in the darkness and tears were streaming down her face. It was the Great Mother, no, it was Ursula. "Oh Fawn, do you see?" The flames lit her face with flickering yellow light. "It's on fire! It's burning! It's all burning."

In the morning I convinced myself it had all been a dream.
Bamika Easterman

fawn

• View Profile
    • Che Monro
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2012, 12:25:49 am »
I was sitting on the steps in the sunlight drinking tea when Naurel appeared. "Hello!" I said, smiling. "Welcome in peace. Would you like some tea?"

"Yeah." The healers had excelled themselves, working on one of their own. Her fur glowed, she was the picture of health, and there were no scars, but her eyes looked empty. Haunted. I shivered and poured her a cup of tea. The mental scars take longer to heal than the physical ones, I should know. We sat on the steps and sipped tea in silence for a while.

"Thanks," she said after a while. She had finished the tea, so I took her cup and set it on the tray.

"Another cup?"

She just shook her head. I poured myself another cup and thought hard.

"You know that some of my memories returned, in dreams?"

"Yeah?" Her voice was dull, lifeless.

"Yes! I never got to say thank you for your healing."

She twisted her mouth. Maybe it was meant to be a smile? "My failed attempt."

"You cured my sunburn – I was in agony! I actually saw your paws glow. I've never seen anything like that before. Or since, really. I um, seem to be kind of magic blind? I can't even remember magic. I introduced myself to Mr Brad about six times before he caught in my mind. He's a shape changer, so they say."

"Really? So am I. In fact I'm a bit surprised you recognised me in this form."

"But you've always had this form? Haven't you? I've never seen you looking any different."

"Really? You don't remember me having a different shape?"

"No. You've always looked exactly like this."

"Bizzare!" she laughed. "I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, you have the most amazing aura: absolutely no magic at all. Whatever you're doing it's not magic."

"I don't understand? When did you have a different form?"

"When I healed you I was in my dragon form."

"No!" I blinked, then stopped and sipped my tea to calm myself. "I don't understand."

"What do you remember?"

"You looked just like you do now."

"Bizzare."

Isis woke, stretched, and bawled for food. That woke Ashara and she joined in. I undid the button on the snoulders of my sack dress and pulled it down to expose my breasts. Then I gathered up the babies from their basket and put them to suck. "'Really, these children are getting old enough to wean. They'll be talking soon."

"Really? I thought they were only a couple of months old?"

"Yes, they are. Deer grow up fast. We have to!"
Bamika Easterman

fawn

• View Profile
    • Che Monro
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2012, 02:32:00 am »
Ursula came out and joined us then, and I went quiet, looking down at my hooves and listened to them chatter. When there was a break in the conversation I offered her a cup of tea, but by that time the pot had gone cold, and before I could offer she took it and went in to make another.

"You don't have to be shy around her," Naurel said. "She's the sweetest, kindest person you'll ever meet."

My head was filled with the thunder of a gun, while a cub wailed and tried to bury himself beneath me and the Mother's tree arched into the sky overhead, serene and peaceful and indifferent. "She's a killer," I whispered.

"It was the only way to make him stop. If she hadn't killed him I believe we both would be dead by now. There was no choice."

"There is always a choice."

We were spared from any further painful conversation on this topic by Ursa's return. I accepted a cup of tea from her and whispered my thanks, but I couldn't meet her eyes. I listened to their chatter, lost in my own thoughts and feelings.

"Oh no!" Naurel exclaimed, getting to her feet. "They're coming!"

Ursula stood as well  and put her arms around her mate. "We'll be alright. I won't let them hurt you."

A party of pirates in armour we coming across the green, led by a huge black hyena. With a start I realised it must be Captain Tibur. I'd heard about his of course, he dominated our lives like an evil shadow, but I believe that was the only time I ever saw him.

Suddenly Glassere, David, and Jeduh were there with us. "Jeduh, get the scouts! Fawn!" Glassere said. "Take your babies. Run and hide, now!"

He didn't need to tell me twice. I ran to the tapestry and pulled it back, revealing he hidden door, I went through it into the storage room behind. There was a pantry in the corner but I pushed it aside, grunting with effort, then pushed past into the space beyond. It was too heavy to drag back into place completely, but but I managed to pull it a few inches, straining with the effort. It would have to do. I crouched down into the space in the stonework to wait.

I didn't have long to wait. There was an almighty crash, like an explosion, that made me jump, then shouts and screams, and the clash of weapons, then very quickly things fell silent. And stayed silent. Had they gone? What had happened? I stayed in my hidey hole. I forced myself to count to a hundred, then a hundred again. It was utterly quiet out there. Normally I wouldn't stir out of hiding until I was certain it was safe, but perhaps I should take a peek.

I put my babies down on the floor, squeezed out past the pantry and quietly opened the door a crack. Then peeked past the curtains. The only person I could see was Glassere, kneeling on the floor. I couldn't hear or smell anyone else. More important it didn't feel like an ambush. It didsn't make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. They had gone. I snuck out.

Glassere was kneeling on the floor over David's broken body. There was blood and shattered glass everywhere. Glassere looked up, there was blood all over his white robes. He cradled David in his arms and tears streamed down his face. Had they been a lot more intimate than I'd realized.

Jedah ran up from the direction of the barracks with a squad of armed and armoured scouts, and skidded to a stop at the top of the steps.

"They killed him, Jeduh," Glassere said. "He tried to stop them and they killed him."
Bamika Easterman

fawn

• View Profile
    • Che Monro
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2012, 01:15:13 pm »
We built a fire and burned David's body on the temple green. Most of the tribe attended. There was nobody to speak for him except Glassere, Naurel and Ursa had been taken by Tibur. Word was he had put slave collars around their necks.

Glassere closed the border after the funeral, and ordered the scouts and guardians to patrol it night and day. He was frantically busy, talking to tribesfolk and traders and guardians, making plans. It was all very secret, but quickly the rumor arose that he was planning an evacuations. Some of the scouts denounced him furiously. They wanted to fight, even against guns, even against cannons, even against overwhelming numbers. A female with small babies doesn't feel this way, of course, but who will listen to her?

One afternoon scouts summoned Glassere up onto the roof. I followed along to see what was happening. They pointed out to sea: Sails on the horizon. The pirates' great ship was returning.

"This is it, then," Glassere said. "Send the word. It's tonight."

Surprisingly enough nothing happened that night. It was quiet.  I tried to stay awake, but I was tired. I fed the babies then curled up and fell asleep by the hearth. In the morning it was chaos, scouts and healers and temple maidens running back and forth, everyone talking at the top of their voices. Naurel and Ursa had been rescued! The slaves had been freed in a daring raid! Naurel sand Ursa and....

"Aeon!" I shouted and I rushed to his side, kneeling by his cot. "Aeon, Aeon, oh Aeon! I'm so glad you're home. I was so worried about you. I tried and tried to think of any way I could free you but I couldn't, Oh Goddess, Aeon, I'm so sorry!"

He put his arms around me and he held me. "Tha tha, lass," he rumbled. "Do na greet. Its alright."

It was not alright, of course. They had whipped him and beaten him and his body was covered in filth. I went and got a bucket and some soap and a cloth and I washed away the worst of it, but he really needed a bath. That would have to wait until he was treated, though, my washing kept revealing more cuts and welts under the matted dirt. They had used hm terribly.

Someone had given him a mace, a fearful war club, and he kept picking it up and fingering it nervously.

"Aeon, you're not thinking of fighting the pirates, are you?"

He had a coughing fit, then, but aftter he said "Nay, lass. Nay. But if they come to take what's mine then I will fight."

"Right Action is to refrain from violence!" I exclaimed. "Let's just go away to your home like we planed. Please, Aeon, please don't fight."

He glowered at me and ground out his words like he was chewing oats. "I got a right ta protect what is mine, lass: My mate. My children. Anyone that tries ta harm ya is gonna have ta go though me first. That's all." And that's all he would say. There was never any arguing with Aeon once he'd made his mind up.

The healer came then and chased me away. "I cannot work if I am continually distracted by your crying, woman. Go and wait in the kitchen." He was a healer so I had to obey.
Bamika Easterman

fawn

• View Profile
    • Che Monro
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2012, 01:17:19 pm »
After that it was all a blur of activity. Giving Aeon his first proper bath and first proper meal in months. Carrying boxes and bundles down to the beach. The arguments over what to take and what to leave behind. Waiting for the boats. A huge crowd gathered on the beach and the first boats were almost swamped until scouts were pulled off the border to keep order. It was a terrible press and I hung back with my babies, frightened that we would be crushed. All that long afternoon boats came up, loaded, and sailed off, but the crowd never seemed to get any less.

The sun set. It was twilight. There were still a few boats waiting on the shadowy water when Aeon and Jeduh found me. "Dammit, Fawn," Aeon growled. "I told tha to get an a boat."

"I won't go without you!" I said. "I can't bear to lose you again!"

"Dammit, Fawn.."

"No time for this," Jeduh pointed out practically. All hell was breaking loose up on the island, we could hear the roar of battle, the crackle of musket fire and the boom of cannon. The Pirates were finally attacking. The crowd surged around us, then surged back, unsure of what to do. Aeon pushed through it like a plow and we followed along behind. "Females and children first!" Jeduh shouted. "Let Fawn and the babies through!"

There was only one boat left at the end of the quay. Ursa was standing on the deck with an oar in her paws, beating back those who tried to clamber aboard and swamp the already overladen vessel. "Get back there! Get back! Wait for the next boat! This boat is full!" Those who failed to heed her warning felt the pain of her oar. I winced as I heard it crack against one poor fur's skull. People just wanted to escape from the road and screams of battle going on up above, but the boat was too full, it couldn't take any more. If more people tried to get on board the boat would sink and everyone would drown.

"We should wait for the next boat," I whispered, but I don't think anyone heard me.

"Women and children first!" jeduh shouted. "Let Fawn and the babies onto the boat!"

"No, I won't go without you," I shouted, but nobody was listening.

That got Ursa's attention. "What, hasn't they already gone? Hand Fawn and the babies up here!" She commanded the crowd, brandishing her oar. I was siezed by a hundred paws and propelled up over the rail onto the deck, clinging onto my babies for dear life. I would have fallen but Naurel caught me in her arms.

"We'll get the next boat!" Aeon shouted up from the dock.

"Cast off! Cast off! Haul!" The sailors were already pushing us away from the dock with poles and oars and a gap of water opened up between us and the crowd. I saw Aeon and Jeduh confer, then they turned and made their way through the dispersing crowd to the steps that led up on to the island where the guns still boomed and roared. That was the last I saw of them. Somehow there had been some kind of a mix up and there we're no more boats.

They raised the sails and we moved away from the island. The night got darker. Suddenly a great gout of flame went up on the headland where the temple stood, bright enough that we could see each other in it's light. "It's on fire," I said. "It's burning. The temple is burning!" I could hardly see through my tears, and Ursa wrapped me in her arms and coforted me. We stood there by the rail of the overloaded boat, moving up and down on the waves in the darkening night and watched as flame rose up above the headland and the temple died in it's own funeral pyre.

As we got further away the flames disappeared below the horizon, but we could see the glow on the bottom of the lowering clouds. Then it got further away, and fainter, and dimmer, and it was gone.
Bamika Easterman

fawn

• View Profile
    • Che Monro
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2012, 04:30:58 pm »
PART THREE: SURVIVOR

Of course we sailed straight into a typhoon. For three days the sky was black, we were drenched with rain and the waves were like black mountains towering over us. I was wretchedly sick the whole time. I hate boats. The crew threw everything overboard to lighten us: tools, money, food, clothes... There were so many people crammed on that overloaded boat that if they hadn't I'm sure we'd have gone to the bottom. Then Glassere rigged a sea anchor and for three days we rode out the storm.

At least they tell me there were days, we never saw the sun and it seemed like a single endless howling night to me. Finally the sun did come out and the clouds blew away and the seas eased. The storm was over. The men put up sails and we moved across the waves. Everything was blue, blue sky, blue sea. We were alive.

We sailed for at least a week, I lost track of exactly how long. There was very little food left, and my milk dried up. After that Isis and Ashara had to eat ship's biscuit like everyone else, and they complained bitterly. They were just beginning to speak and their favourite word was "No!"

We were on short rations and we all got very hungry. By the time we sighted land I was found myself eyeing the ropes and sails and wondering what they would taste like. Some of the other passengers were eyeing me.

"Land Ho!" It was a tiny island, lush and green, a single peak sticking out of a cloud. We sailed around it, looking for a way through the coral reef, and finally made landfall on a pristine white beach. The men dragged the boat up out of the water, and we all hopped out, marvelling as the land seemed to move and sway beneath our feet because we'd been at sea so long.

Most of the males immediately disappeared into the bush, hunting. I put Isis and Ashara in their basket and walked along the beach, venturing into the forest to look for grass and flowers to nibble on. I found a stream and we all drank, then I had the feeling I was being watched. A furry face with large brown eyes poked up out of the bushes on the far side of the stream.

"Hello," I said, but he or she disappeared and scurried away through the bushes.

I found some yams, and dug up the roots. They were delicious. Isis, Ashara and I all ate our fill. Then I went back to the boat, where the carnivores were roasting meat. I kept well away from that.

The island was occupied by a tribe of friendly otters. We didn't have much to trade, but the brought us fish and crabs and a strange fruit called coconut. The babies liked the milk.

We spent a couple of weeks there, repairing the boat, replenishing supplies, regaining our strength and arguing over where exactly where we were. When we left quite a few people opted to remain behind, it was that lovely. I sailed on with the boat. The tribe, I decided, deserved my loyalty, wherever we were headed. I had no idea where Aeon might be, there was no going back, and my children needed a new home. Really, what else could I do?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 02:04:09 am by fawn »
Bamika Easterman

fawn

• View Profile
    • Che Monro
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2012, 12:37:18 am »
We sailed for another three weeks. There were no more typhoons, but Glassere said the wind was being very unhelpful. I didn't understand that: It was a sailing boat, I thought the wind was what made it go at all? Anyway it seemed to me that we just sailed back and forth across the same patch of ocean for weeks, but Glassere said we were making progress. He said he could tell be looking at the sun. That didn't make any sense to me, but what would I know? I'm a forest creature. It's true that he did use some sort of a tool to look at the sun several times a day.

It must have been some kind of magic, and it must have worked, because eventually we arived.

Lismore. Glassere had told us the name of the island before we left. It was remote, far away from the pirates, and it's lord said we were welcome to settle there. We sailed into the bay late one afternoon. It was a low lying land, all forest with hills beyond, and a marble city with shining golden dome. It was beautiful.

The others had arrived weeks before us and we pulled our boat up next to the others on the beach. We were the last to arrive. It was a joyful time of reunion with old friends, and sadness at the faces that were missing. And many were missing. Many had been left behind and some of the boats never arrived. The tribe was just rags and tatters of what we once had been.

One reunion was particularly touching: I saw Glassere embrace his mate Cloudchaser, tears streaming down both their face. Glassere had sent Cloudchaser ahead on the first ship. He was a handsome grey tabby, heavily pregnant. Others had begun to think we were lost, but Cloud never lost hope. He spent all his time down on the beach, waiting for his mate. He was there when we arrived.

Yes, he was a he, and yes, he was pregnant. I don't know how the boys did it, I heard it was some sort of magic. The thing that always exercised me was how they got the babies out safely at the end, but I was too afraid to ask. Besides, it was none of my business. However they did it it must have worked because Liam was born a few months after that, a fine healthy boy.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:41:55 pm by fawn »
Bamika Easterman

fawn

• View Profile
    • Che Monro
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2012, 12:39:24 pm »
The ruler of the island was Lord Ashtyn, a fox who was said to be about two thousand years old. I didn't believe it at first - deer only live a couple of decades - so I thought it must be just a story, but everyone assured me it was true. Glassere had met him during his time as a slave and they'd been sending each other letters. He encouraged us to settle the unoccupied southern part of the island which was covered in forest.

There were a few other groups: Lord Kabul led the Zenko monastry, a group of warrior monks who lived behind their walls on the highest part of the island. Years ago a portal had opened there and strange beasts and enemies had poured through, threatening the city. The monks had arrived and helped defeat the threat, then they'd build a shrine to their Goddess on the spot to keep the portal closed, and built their home around that. It all sounded like fantasy to me, but there was a hill and a monastery and a big tower which was the shrine. That much was fact.

Finally there were the gypsies who'd recently moved into the caves under the hills. For centuries the caves had been occupied by dragons, until they'd moved out, complaining of climate change. The island was getting too cold and rainy, and the lava in the caves smelt bad. They left, and a motley band of wandering gypsies moved in, led by their queen, Titania.

The next day we walked down through the forest to pick a site for our new temple. The woods were lovely, dark and deep, and full of delicious clovers and thistles and mushrooms. We came upon some tumbled old stones. The others moved on but I stopped to look at them. They were columns, foundations, part of a floor, these genuinely looked to be hundreds or thousands of years old. We were not the first to build a temple in these woods, I judged, but what what folk had built it, or what gods they had worshiped I could not say.

Eventually we came to the southern shore of the island, a pleasant grassy clearing by a stream looking down to the shore. Standing in the middle of the clearing was a great big solitary tree, much larger and older than any others we'd seen. We stopped and gazed up at it in silence for a while. It was massive, and serene, branches waving in the breeze. A gap in it's base formed a kind of cave or shelter. There had been one such tree on the holy island which we called the Mother's tree. Mother holds all trees dear, but the rumor was she'd planted that one herself. Who knew for sure?

"This is the place," Glassere said. He'd been letting his natural color grow out so he had white fur roots and black ttips. He'd ripped the copper off his collar and now wore the filigreed adamantine i all it's jewel like glory. He still looked exotic and expensive. "Aren't you afraid someone will abduct you again?" I'd asked, but he'd just laughed. "My magic will protect me." I didn't remember him having any magic, but people said he was now quite powerful. I couldn't remember any of the stuff that they said he'd done, but well, that's magic for you.

We built a fire and Glassere and Ursa and Cloudchaser walked back and forth across the site, making plans. I curled up for a nap beside the camp fire.... and woke up three days later.

When I woke up everything had been transformed. The mother's tree was the same, but all around me were the most amazing building. They weren't really buildings, they were trees! I walked in wonder and gazed at them. Later, up at the monastery I saw monks persuading little trees to grow into pretty shapes using pruning, and wires. They called this art Bonsai. This was similar, but these were full sized trees that grew and bent and twisted around one another, and threw branches and leaves and roots in places to make roofs and walls and floors. And none of it had been there when I'd fallen asleep!

At first I didn't believe that days had passes, but people assured me they had. Then I thought I'd slept for three solid days, but everyone said I'd been awake and preparing meals and making tea and caring for my children, and making suggestions and sarcastic comments for the whole time for the whole time the temple had been growing. I just couldn't remember any of it, the whole time was a blank. People who saw it said it was something you'd never forget: Glassere planted seeds and summoned the trees up out of the ground. Ursula sang to them and they danced and grew into place. Glassere whispered words to them and they did what he asked. What Aeon and the other builders had taken months to achieve in stone, Glassere and Ursa did in days with the wood and bark of living trees.

The temple is one of the wonders of the island, and visitors come to see it and marvel and I tell them the story of how it was grown. I just wish I could remember it myself.
Bamika Easterman

fawn

• View Profile
    • Che Monro
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2012, 11:17:23 pm »
Lord Ashtyn visited, and I served him tea and sat nearby while he talked to Glassere and Ursa. He was impressed by the temple, or at least he acted impressed. How impressed can such an old being really be with the doings of mayflies like us? We were impressed by the temple, but in two thousand years of life what wonders had he seen? I suspect that was one reason he'd liked having the dragons around: he could have a decent conversation with them without them suddenly dying of old age. In appearance he seemed a very ordinary fox, and his speech was considerate and gracious, not like a ruler at all. We'd all known much worse rulers, Lord Ashtyn was a relief.

Can I convey how relieved we felt generally? We had a new home, and nobody was threatening us. The threat had been like dark clouds hanging over us all for so long, and now the sun had come out and I had forgotten how bright and cheerful it was to live in the sun. I could simply lie and look at the sky for hours at a time and not worry about a thing. There was still sadness: everyone had lost somebody, we felt grief over how much we had lost; but there was also hope, finally we had a place we could live and grow in peace.

Of course there were still fears. One of our first visitors was a slaver, Svart, a black wolf with wings. We got into quite an argument over slavery, I had to remind myself that my Mother didn't put me here to argue with people. His presence made me feel anxious. I was safe enough in the Temple, it was under our control. But could I be taken if I grazed in the forest, or walked in the forum of the town? Uncertainty brought anxiety. I still bore a slave brand on my shoulder, anyone could claim me as a runaway slave and the law here might favor them.

Later I was to learn that slavery here as different to the brutality practiced by the pirates, slaves here must consent to their bondage, and an abusive master could be stripped of his property. Frankly it didn't sound much like slavery at all to me, and I couldn't see why anyone would consent to the kind of horror I had been through. It made me  feel angry, I don't know why, as if what they called slavery here somehow took away from the suffering and deaths of thousands, and distracted from the callous uncaring of those who benefited. I felt angry and hurt and confused, so I stayed silent and I watched.

But gradually I learned it was safe to graze the forests and visit the forum and the inn, brand or no brand, nobody would bother a freedwoman here. Eventually I began to have some confidence in who I was here, my identity. Here's one thing that helped build this confidence:

One of the new arrivals after the Temple was grown was a silver wolf named Lone. He liked to wear long blue coats, very fancy. He took a great deal of pride in his possessions, his wealth, and the power it gave him. And he was very into power. Lone was a deal maker, a go-between, a middleman. He liked to hang around the temple and I had ample opportunities to watch him work.  manipulated people's needs, their desires. He would talk to people, find out what they wanted, then worm himself into the process between them and getting what they wanted.

In this way he acquired a lot of power over people. People would do whatever he wanted to get the things they thought they wanted. He was gaining power, becoming the indispensable man, the go-to man for anything anyone needed; and every transaction ended up enriching and empowering Lone.

He strictly ignored me at all times, acted as if he couldn't see me or hear me. I think he sensed that none of the things I wanted: Aeon, freedom, sunshine, clear clean water, luscious clover and milk thistles; none of them were anything he could grant or deny me. He had no power over me. Early on there was one time he didn't ignore me: We were in the Inn, I enjoyed visiting and sitting on the floor watching the people go past, and they didn't throw me out although I had no money. Lone was there, and Asha, a city guard.

Somehow the conversation turned to slavery and I must have said a few things against it. Lone, that jealous lover of possessions, of course saw nothing wrong with it: he could never see himself as other than a possessor, a Master.  I tried to justify my opposition: I showed my brand, although it was years ago in another land and so much had happened in between someone out there still felt they owned me, and worse, owned my children although they had been conceived and born in freedom, and no matter who I was or what I did they could never ever be made to respect my freedom.

That got his attention. That got his complete attention. He stared at the slave brand on my arm like he'd never seen such a thing before. Then he turned to the guard, Asha, and asked her to arrest me. "You heard her, she said it herself, she's a runaway slave!" Now, I'd considered there was a chance he might do something like that. I'd calculated my safety before I'd ever set foot in the town, and concluded I was pretty safe. Yes, slavery was legal here, but not the kind of slave raiding I'd been taken in. Lord Ashtyn had spoken to me very cordially, assuring me I was welcome in his domain. He'd assured Glassere that the temple had complete authority over our own people, and by our laws tribesfolk could never be made slaves. So I was safe.

Still as Asha looked at me and hesitated, deciding what to do, and Lone demanded that I be held as a confessed runaway slave I felt the fear. You may escape, but you never quite escape the fear. Asha refused of course, and Lone argued with her while I sat there and smirked at both of them. It had been a fine way to tease him. He never spoke to me after that, never looked at me, never heard a word I spoke. I was property that had somehow escaped it's proper ownership and such a thing could not exist in his universe.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:20:16 pm by fawn »
Bamika Easterman

fawn

• View Profile
    • Che Monro
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2012, 12:19:29 pm »
As soon as we arrived on Lismore Glassere and Ursa began making plans to return, arranging boats and supplies and voluteers. A few weeks later they sailed off, taking Naurel with them, and leaving Cloudchaser in command. I had high hopes they would bring back Aeon. They were gone for about a month, and returned disappointed.

Very few of our friends were left on the holy island, they had either been killed or else sold abroad as slaves. In addiion the pirates had brought in hundred and hundreds of slaves from the mainland and other islands, and set them to work clearing the forest and building a town. Finding the survivors was a matter of combing through camps of strangers, most of whom were strangers eve to each other. It was dangerous work, they were betrayed and ambushed and had to flee. The pirates chased their boats and only nightfall and a fortuitous squall prevented them from being blown out of the water. In the end they brought back more of the new slaves than our people There would be no more expeditions to our old home.

They did, however make contact with Brad, the trader. He'd returned to the island only to have his cargo confiscated by the pirates, who were not interested in trade. When he complained Tibur threatened to take his boat an crew as well. A few weeks later Brad sailed into the harbour at Lismore with  new cargo, and soon he was crying his wares in the marketplace.  I sat on the manhole nearby and watched.

"Hello, Fawn, remember me?" he asked.

"Hmm, let me see. Could it be Bran, or Brad, or Rumpelstiltskin?"

"Brad! I swear your memory gets worse and worse every day. Here. I bet you remember these." He handed me a salt cube and I sucked on it.

I did remember them, I think they had seaweed in them - delicious!  "Fank Goo."  I mumbled around the cube.

"Not pregnant anymore, I see."

"It's not that time of year. In fact it's getting on towards Fall."

"Fall?"

"It's a very special time for me."

"Er, um, right... Er, Where are the babies?"

"Ashara and Isis are running around somewhere. Grazing. Ashara has taken to visiting the gypsies in the caves. I went in there once and it's all stone and rock. Nothing to eat. There are pools of funny smelling fire. I don't like it so I came straight back out."

"Those gypsies can be dangerous."

"So everyone says, but Ashara is quite taken with them. She says they are teaching her things. Magic. She says she wants to be a healer." I shrugged, rather doubtful about it. I really only half believed in magic and I couldn't remember smelling anything like that about Ashara, although she insisted she'd healed my hoof once when I hurt it. Still, I had resolved to be a better mother and decided the way to do it was to be proud of my children, whatever they did. So I was proud of her, and I made sure to tell her often. It actually felt pretty good.

Bradley sold his cargo and won an interview with Ashtyn, who was impressed with his cunning and business acumen and awarded him a contract to supply the city. We began to see his ship in the harbour more and more often.
Bamika Easterman

fawn

• View Profile
    • Che Monro
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2012, 12:03:36 am »
So then there was rut. I don't remember very much about it, I mated with Solarius, that much was obvious, and I think a couple of bucks came out of the woodwork. I remember teasing Cloudchaser, but I don't think anything came of it: he only mated with males.

When I came back to myself I was pregnant again, and life was rolling onwards. Growler arrived and sat around mumbling threats about eating me. I wasn't seriously worried as I'd put up with worse for ages on the Holy Island and I knew that the predator who talks big is generally less of a threat than the one who remains silent. My daughter Ashara freaked out, however.

Ashara had been hanging around with the gypsies in the caves, who were turning out to be a bad lot. They'd executed a young male from the city for trespass which had caused bad blood. They didn't seem to object to Ashara's presence, but I worried about her.  I knew better than to try to forbid her from the caves, her stubbornness reminded me of Aeon, or myself. She would only have disobeyed. As much as possible I tried to encourage her to develop other interests.

Healing was one. Ashara was convinced she had the power to become a healer if only she could find someone to train her. There were Healers around the temple, of course, including Naurel, but Ashara took to visiting the Zenko monastery, and her talk was all about Lord Kabul. Better, I thought, the monastery than the caves.

About this time she showed me a weapon she had designed and built herself, a fantastic thing like a crossbow that fired whirling blades. I shuddered to think of the damage it would cause if she ever shot anyone with that thing. I tried to convince her that healers don't hurt people, and don't use weapons, and she acted reluctantly convinced, at least while she was in sight, but she kept the weapon.

So into this situation slouched Growler, the hulking short faced hyena who didn't like to bathe. Where he sprung from I don't know, perhaps the pirates threw him out because he smelled bad? His threats quickly earned him a ban from the temple. We'd tightened up since the bad old days on the Holy Island where you practically had to murder someone to earn a ban. He could see that I wasn't impressed by his bluster, so he started "teasing" Ashara about how he'd like to eat her. We were in a group of people talking on the slope below Zenko at the time. Ashara freaked out and ran into the monastery, while Growler laughed.

A few weeks later Growler was exiled from the island for something he did in the town: I don't know the details. But by then the damage was done: Ashara was convinced that only Zenko could keep her safe and teach her magic. She was going to live there, and she wanted me to go with her.
Bamika Easterman