Poll

What's your opinion on the future rental properties across the sim?

The current buildings are adequate. Keep up on that track.
7 (70%)
We need something else (please post your thoughts).
3 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: October 19, 2011, 07:44:42 pm

Author Topic: Sim Enhancements  (Read 10783 times)

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Sim Enhancements
« on: September 13, 2011, 03:46:57 pm »
So while we are experiencing a low attendance time because everybody is checking out the new and shiny Vemnyal (or so the paranoid conspiracy theorists say), we figured it was a good opportunity to work on some enhancements for Lismore without inconveniencing the players!  :)

First, let's re-visit the subject of moving the Zenko Springs to the [below] ground level.
I believe the same atmosphere can be maintained, and several prims can be saved if I move the Zenko Springs into the ground in the Zenko.
The argument against it was simply that people wanted privacy while in the springs (teh sexx000r!). As far as I remember, the defenders of that argument were always Erick and Ken. With Erick gone and Ken not RPing anymore, do people still want the "privacy" offered by the springs where they are, far up in the sky?
Vote, please!

Second, we flirted with the idea of offering actual rental spaces in the sim for people who wanted to have houses for their characters. Currently there are rooms available for anyone who needs them in the Commons House (aka. Lismore apartments) in the city, but nobody has a designated room they can call their own. With the new housing development, players would be able to rent a structure and call it their own. Rental rates would be the standard market going value of L$2 per prim, per week. We haven't decided on prim limits but it would be somewhere between 50 to 100.
The idea is to make a certain number of such rental structures available throughout the major parts of the sim (the city, the Temple, the Zenko, the Caves), so people can choose their favorite location to settle in.
The main argument against it back in the day was that people would rent space for themselves and not necessarily be In Character while they're at 'home', and we wanted to focus on IC time over casual OOC hanging out.
If you think making housing available would be a good option, or if you don't think it would be good, vote!

Everybody gets 2 votes, use them through the options on the pool. Please avoid voting multiple times for the same question.

The City Baths will be upgraded. As Nova pointed out, right now they are simply a large well. ...a well from which I hope people haven't been drinking from, because I know Sally visited those baths quite often....  ;)

The City Jail will be upgraded. A better model has already been designed for it a long time ago, but because of technical reasons at the time, we never got around building it.

If you have any ideas for infrastructure upgrades, post your ideas on this thread and we'll discuss it and if it makes sense, they might get implemented.  :)

Icylon Kato

• View Profile
Re: Sim Enhancements
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 05:15:38 pm »
Well personally I like the idea of moving the Zenko grounds. It appears currently lofty and unapproachable.  I think making it more open like an academy should be, will draw more to it. That's all this tiger needs to say on that matter.

kenneth cale

• ^_^
  • Hey. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 06:31:21 pm »
i still like where the springs are but not for privacy reasons. if you can make the springs lower primmed and still just as pretty then i will have no more argument.
Need a hug? :D

Sen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 07:14:50 pm »
I think both of these ideas sound great :3

While we're on the topic of enhancing things, I think it'd be really nifty to give the greater forested area some kinda distinct landmark (perhaps some low-prim stone ruins, or a barbarian / druid camp?) to try and draw more RP to it. I know we have a random stone with a sarcophagus sitting in it, as well as a few other odds and ends, but right now I can't help but feel like all that space and prims are being underutilized. Just a thought, anyway o.o

kenneth cale

• ^_^
  • Hey. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 09:14:08 pm »
its just supposed to be a forest. well originally anyways. but it seems we dont have many players interested in being feral forest dwellers. they all want to be sorcerers dragons druids scouts and knights x3
Need a hug? :D

Xela

• Global Moderator
  • Phoenix Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:11:19 am »
With the renting of houses and places around the sim... does this mean I will have to pay rent for the things Xela has amassed? And what about Sendra and Kas' moving into the lighthouse?

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 03:22:20 pm »
With the renting of houses and places around the sim... does this mean I will have to pay rent for the things Xela has amassed? And what about Sendra and Kas' moving into the lighthouse?

No. Characters that are asigned a specific location because of the role they have don't have to rent anything (though donations are still always welcome!). The renting of houses is for players who want to have a home in the sim for thier characters, but don't happen to be in any specific role that would warrant a 'base of operations' such as "queen of the Caves" or "Temple high priest". If you're just.... Kata, and you want your own home, that's what the rentals would be for.

Lingering Shadow

• Kata Misashi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 08:35:55 pm »

No. Characters that are asigned a specific location because of the role they have don't have to rent anything (though donations are still always welcome!). The renting of houses is for players who want to have a home in the sim for thier characters, but don't happen to be in any specific role that would warrant a 'base of operations' such as "queen of the Caves" or "Temple high priest". If you're just.... Kata, and you want your own home, that's what the rentals would be for.

;w; ...oww...

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 08:58:11 pm »
We love you, Kata!    :)

Xela

• Global Moderator
  • Phoenix Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 02:48:05 pm »
Voted!

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 07:43:00 pm »
So, new poll!

While we're elaborating on the idea of rentals in the sim, here's a question: What would you look forward in a place in the sim you'd rent to call your own, as far as space goes?

It's unrealistic to give everybody huge tracks of land and other such excessive things, so obviously some compromises will have to be made. But what is it you think is essential on a rental property, as far as the structure/size goes?

There are several spots in the sim currently only theoretically occupied by characters, that can be used as example #1. Do you think spaces such as the little hut on the farm land and on the graveyard (and Glasere's hut over by the Temple), the standard buildings in the city (above-ground area with underground area), and the little treestump cave close to the Caves' entrance are adequate and we can continue on that track as long as you get to decorate/furnish the places however you want, or do you think there should be something more? If so, got examples?
VOOOTE!  :)

Xela

• Global Moderator
  • Phoenix Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 10:17:36 pm »
My main thought (admit, bias) is regarding Phoenix and the caves. At the moment all there is for people to live in are a few tents, that do not leave much room for customisation. I think a bunkhouse may be a better approach. :)

Likewise, Zenko could do with an actual barracks, but I think this will be addressed in the near future anyway.

Jay Voncloud

• Loverble Mana Currupted fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 03:23:36 am »
i think we have to keep in mind that the time period we are technically covering, is one where things are fairly simple, so the most people would have is prehaps a bed and storage for their wares. So the way the buildings are now seem fine, maybe just alittle bigger so that a bed doesnt take up the entire room. I also agree with Xela, the castle could do with have somewhere more then just tents to sleep on.