Poll

What do you think of the weather?

The weather disrupts my RP! Get rid of it.
0 (0%)
The weather is awesome, and while I follow it, I don't let it get in the way of RP. Keep it as is!
9 (64.3%)
The weather disrupts my RP! Make it rain less!
0 (0%)
Weather? What weather? (I don't ever care about what the weather system says)
0 (0%)
I only ackowledge the weather when it's convenient.
2 (14.3%)
Other (please post!)
3 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: April 03, 2014, 05:55:48 pm

Author Topic: The Weather and You!  (Read 10188 times)

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
The Weather and You!
« on: March 31, 2014, 05:55:48 pm »
So I was asked about the weather system in Lismore, and how it affects RP interactions.

The chief concern was that if the weather turns bad, people stay huddled up indoors or leave the outdoors spaces (where chances of bumping into someone are higher), thus potentially disrupting/diminishing RP interactions.

Personally I've only let the weather affect what my characters do when it doesn't really stop what's happening IC with others - and if my characters were to have the urge to get out of the bad weather, the other people involved would be invited to follow along.

I have noticed however some people disregard the weather altogether, and some people do move to get out of bad weather (but whether they invite the others to come along or not, that I don't know).

So to see what our folks think about this matter, we present you with this lovely poll! And as always, there's an option to voice your own opinion on the matter if the poll options aren't to your taste.  :)

Please vote!

Lycanthrope

• View Profile
Re: The Weather and You!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 05:59:01 pm »
  I like the weather, it helps with thinks having yet another "global variable" that is there for RP and such

Radem

• Global Moderator
  • Here comes purple bunny tail...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 06:12:19 pm »
I actually like the weather as well, it makes for something to talk about. I'm sure there are tweaks we could make though that might make it more interesting. We could also put a gazebo in town or something so there's a gathering spot that's weather-safe.

One of these days when I've got some time, I want to put together a random events generator as well, so people can have some talking points other than the weather. Hey, did you hear that a group of orcish soldiers came through? Did you see that boat at the harbor that had someone lashed to the top of the mast? etc.

Of course, this is harder when we're in a little pocket dimension that doesn't get much contact with the outside world, which is why I'm not a fan of the Sky Islands thing, but that's a separate topic and I'll refrain from getting up on my soapbox about it for the moment.

Ausar

• Super Poster
  • Demon of Plenty
    • View Profile
    • Starfall
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 06:43:53 pm »
I like having the weather system in place, but similar to the Lismorean clock and day/night cycle it is too fast once a scene is in progress. That is why I usually only consult those systems at the beginning of a scene and keep acting as if the initial setup is still in place (unless a change fits the RP currently being played out). So all in all I am with the 'I use it when it is convenient and adds to the RP' faction. I certainly wouldn't want to have those things removed, because like Radem I think that they can be used as ice breakers in conversations or as means to 'run into' people your char usually would avoid, simply because they both try to get shelter in the same spot.

I kinda like that Radem-events-generator idea. ;)  Could be tied in with that message board, like always having one piece of gossip of the day or something. But the frequency of those should be much, much slower in comparison to the weather engine. And depending on the players reaction to some of the news it would be nice if there is a possibility that some actually spawn small follow up events or scenarios. 
The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.

Lou

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 06:51:42 pm »
In my opinion the weather system only encourages characters grouping up in locations where maybe others wouldn't, either due to the location itself or just being an inconvenient place to go to during bad weather and there being much closer, reasonable alternatives but end up with a character stuck there. I don't fancy the idea of all days being bright and sunshine and rainbows mind you, but between the unrealistic alternative or the possibility of promoting closed RP groups, I'd rather the unrealistic.

@ Radem - I like your idea.

@ Athian - What about in a situation where your character is interacting with another, and the weather changes, but you agree that it's best to ignore it, then a *different* character or group comes across and warns yours about the bad weather? It's just as much an inconvenience, if you're aiming to be hanging around in the open, accessible to anyone.
Too many characters to list.

Hyper weapon.

Terri Berry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 08:25:59 pm »
I kind of enjoy the weather system, Buuuuuuuuut, sometimes the weather seems to change FAR too much. If there's a way to make the weather change less frequently so that it's not raining one minute, then sunny the next, as well as have better weather patterns to avoid radical weather changes, that would be awesome. I don't find it so much disruptive, just hard to keep track of given how long people post sometimes

Ausar

• Super Poster
  • Demon of Plenty
    • View Profile
    • Starfall
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 12:18:46 am »
@Lou: Depends. If things like weather and time of day are important to the situation there is always the opportunity to quickly check OOC with your fellow players. The same is true for people gathering at less public spaces: All it takes is a quick ooc exchange to see if they are welcoming company or choose the location in order to have some privacy.

@Terri Berry: Yes, I agree. It usually feels like changes are too often and sometimes with too radical shifts in the weather. Personally I would like to drop all and any radical kinds of weather from the general weather rotation and only activate those manually (maybe even have some programmed sets of certain weather patterns that logically progress over time). But I am afraid that would take a lot of work and I don't know if our poor scripters would consider it worth the effort.

The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.

Tenaar Feiri

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 12:56:55 am »
I kind of enjoy the weather system, Buuuuuuuuut, sometimes the weather seems to change FAR too much. If there's a way to make the weather change less frequently so that it's not raining one minute, then sunny the next, as well as have better weather patterns to avoid radical weather changes, that would be awesome. I don't find it so much disruptive, just hard to keep track of given how long people post sometimes

We already have a queued update that should address most of this problem by further biasing against bad weather conditions & forcing more seamless transitions. It may still jarredly jump back from say, thunders to clear skies, but that's on the list of things we're interested in fixing.
Unfortunately the 64Kb memory limit on scripts makes it difficult to script smoother transitions to and from *everything*, but we'll overcome this obstacle.

In any case, when the next update is deployed then poor weather conditions should be a rarer occurrence.
It also tackles the problem of weathers updating too fast by increasing the modifier from every 1-6 hours, to every 3-9 hours.

[...](maybe even have some programmed sets of certain weather patterns that logically progress over time)[...]

We already have this to a point, but memory and processing constraints forces us to take shortcuts so it's not as good as it could be. It's an obstacle like any other though. I'll work to overcome it in the next major rewrite of the station!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:01:42 am by Tenaar Feiri »

TheGreatBeatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 05:51:42 am »
Some sort of visual to accompany the weather would make it more 'real' to people as well once the changes are in place. There've been times when I'm idling outside on sim, end up starting an RP with a friend, and then ten minutes later someone runs by and is like "HAY YER CRAZY FOR STANDING IN DA RAIN!" Then I look over at the little weather deallie and it's like "TTLY SUPER DUPER RAIN ALL THE TIME EVERYWHERE WINDS UP YOUR ASS EXPLOSION."

-Bea

Lili

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 01:22:30 pm »
I liked the weather... and it never interrupted my RP... Weather changes very suddenly in real life too, so... And i dont *need* to acknowledge it when its circling between night and day during a long scene... I would like to have some kind of rain-effect too tho~
MAU!

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 01:38:48 pm »
Some sort of visual to accompany the weather would make it more 'real' to people as well once the changes are in place. There've been times when I'm idling outside on sim, end up starting an RP with a friend, and then ten minutes later someone runs by and is like "HAY YER CRAZY FOR STANDING IN DA RAIN!" Then I look over at the little weather deallie and it's like "TTLY SUPER DUPER RAIN ALL THE TIME EVERYWHERE WINDS UP YOUR ASS EXPLOSION."

-Bea

Oh we considered actual visual weather, but the amount of lag it causes is just not worth it. SL just isn't robust enough for such thing.

TheGreatBeatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 03:58:10 pm »
Oh we considered actual visual weather, but the amount of lag it causes is just not worth it. SL just isn't robust enough for such thing.

Not even some very basic light particle plates with a few dozen drops of rain scribbled on them or something?

-Bea

Tenaar Feiri

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 05:24:33 pm »

Not even some very basic light particle plates with a few dozen drops of rain scribbled on them or something?

-Bea

Unfortunately, no.

There are several reasons we don't have particle weather as particles or as 'prim plates'.
For particles, one such reason is that SL renders only a limited particle count & it prioritizes which particles to render poorly. The result of this is that, for instance, because we have particle torches and particle waterfalls in Lismore, the number of particles that your client renders has already filled up the buffer by the time you load into the sim (unless your draw distance is really low). So if the particle rain starts when you're in Lismore, you still wouldn't be able to see it until you zoom out past the sky walls that surround the islands which will trigger SL's occlusion culling and de-render the islands until you zoom back in again. That will empty the buffer & the particles closest to you will render until the buffer fills up again.
In short: even if performance wasn't an issue, the way SL renders particles in the world makes it hugely impractical since more than likely you aren't going to see the rain until you consciously try to make it visible...in which case the whole purpose of having rain particles so that people have a clearer indication of rainfall when it happens, is entirely defeated.

Another couple of reasons we don't have particle rain are because it generates sim lag, and also because most players playing Second Life apparently still use 7-9 year-old rigs that crash or burn out horribly when they have to render particles, so these players turn their particle density down to 0 (or to a really low amount) which again defeats the purpose of having particle rain in the first place.

So far as static weather plates with animated textures in the sim went, we experimented with that already but couldn't find a way to do it without inadvertently disabling clicking in the world. The prims simply got in the way of the mouse, and interfered with everything from clicking to moving your camera around.

Summarized, it's simply impossible to conveniently & reliably simulate weather conditions visually in the SL game world with the currently available tech. It's something we would like to do, and I'm pretty sure that we will if it becomes possible in the future.

TanyaVixen

• Cookie hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 09:10:26 am »
Why not HUD update? It could discreetly cover only borders of the screen (a cube with big hollow). Sunny would be transparent, snowy - a bit frozen, rain - a bit darkened. That would create a mood... even if effect itself won't be visible inworld.
If there's something to hunt down in your neighborhood... who you gonna call?
Lismore City accepted character card: http://pastebin.com/irDsf93N
Second Life profile: https://my.secondlife.com/tanyavixen

Tenaar Feiri

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 10:12:25 am »
Why not HUD update? It could discreetly cover only borders of the screen (a cube with big hollow). Sunny would be transparent, snowy - a bit frozen, rain - a bit darkened. That would create a mood... even if effect itself won't be visible inworld.

That's possible. It's a neat idea for sure, I'll have to play with that.