Author Topic: What Does The Fox Say?  (Read 64100 times)

Foxxian

• View Profile
Re: What Does The Fox Say?
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2014, 07:58:38 pm »
..and the dinosaur?

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2014, 08:28:35 pm »
..and the dinosaur?

Yes! ...T-rexes are people too! ...aren't they? They can have Christmas too!

(also watch "Merry Christmas Mr. Bean" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsCoK-n10fw )

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Xmas House Lights 2014
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2014, 02:20:05 am »
And the house is all lit up for xmas...

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Creating Patina on Brass Without Chemicals
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2014, 06:05:02 pm »
I might have just invented something! ...well, I'm sure somebody in the history of the world must have thought of this as well, but if they didn't, I'm calling it my original discovery!

To create patina on metals you normally use some harsh chemicals that usually have no place being used outside a laboratory or a factory, but I noticed eggs put out what must be sulfur gas that tarnishes sterling silver silverware, and that got me thinking, what else does it tarnish?....

So! Here's a step-by-step guide on creating a fake antique.... or just steampunk stuff.  ;)

• The first step is to clean up the piece to be patinated. I used Brasso on this candlestick and then thoroughly rinsed it with water.

• Next, hardboil some eggs! (put them in water in a pot and bring to a boil; turn off the heat as the water starts to boil and let it sit for 15 minutes)
    I cooked 3 eggs: Two for the experiment, one for myself!

• Break and peel off the egg shells and cut the eggs in half to expose the yolk. Put them in an airtight container with your brass piece and close it up right away. I used a Ziploc bag.

• Let it sit for several hours at room temperature. After one hour I had already noticed oxidization on the surface of the brass, but I let mine sit overnight.

• After about 9 hours, this is the result! Dispose of the eggs (they sat overnight at room temperature, don’t eat them!) and wash the brass thoroughly, but don’t scrub it with anything abrasive or you risk damaging the patina.

I suspect this method should work with most alloys containing copper, and varying the time and the amount of eggs you use might give you a lighter or darker patina. I wonder what neat colors I can achieve mixing up other common foods that put out gases that interact with the copper in the alloy!

Tenaar Feiri

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2014, 06:28:33 pm »
Wow.

I think you just invented a whole new way of forging antiques! ;D

Novaku

• Chaos Personified
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
  • Welcome, to oblivion!
    • View Profile
    • Nova's Youtube Channel
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2014, 06:30:34 pm »
Patent it!
"We are nothing but pawns in the world, in this  world that is nothing but a game. Our actions, our fates are bound decided by the game, we move because the game commands us to do so. Only the players know what faith will befall us for we signify nothing but strategic movements." Valencia Versthaler

Xela

• Global Moderator
  • Phoenix Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2014, 08:28:32 pm »
Sounds interesting, but I'm wondering if its linked to the eggs, or simply the warm moist steam causing corrosion. Maybe try putting a small bowl of boiling water into the same bag and see what happens! :3 maybe add a touch of vinegar too for added effect.

Its a nice idea though and seems to work!

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2014, 08:47:56 pm »
Sounds interesting, but I'm wondering if its linked to the eggs, or simply the warm moist steam causing corrosion. Maybe try putting a small bowl of boiling water into the same bag and see what happens! :3 maybe add a touch of vinegar too for added effect.

If chemistry doesn't fail me, it's the sulfur gas released by the eggs. Regular steam won't do anything.

Novaku

• Chaos Personified
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
  • Welcome, to oblivion!
    • View Profile
    • Nova's Youtube Channel
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2014, 11:56:41 pm »

If chemistry doesn't fail me, it's the sulfur gas released by the eggs. Regular steam won't do anything.

If so, would different sized eggs/different aged eggs, have different effect? Perhaps a bigger or an older egg create a stronger effect?
"We are nothing but pawns in the world, in this  world that is nothing but a game. Our actions, our fates are bound decided by the game, we move because the game commands us to do so. Only the players know what faith will befall us for we signify nothing but strategic movements." Valencia Versthaler

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2014, 04:24:52 am »

If so, would different sized eggs/different aged eggs, have different effect? Perhaps a bigger or an older egg create a stronger effect?

I dunno! It's something to experiment with!

*goes chase an ostrich for its eggs!*

Novaku

• Chaos Personified
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
  • Welcome, to oblivion!
    • View Profile
    • Nova's Youtube Channel
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2014, 04:57:03 am »
Do keep us informed ;D This is interesting.

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Theoretical Patina Formulas
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2014, 12:12:20 am »
After going through standard patina formulas (which come in bottles marked with skulls and crossbones!), I have put together a list of possible combinations of household items (mostly foods!) that theoretically might work on brass!

I already know as a fact that hardboiled eggs give it the aged brown color. Now I have to test the following possibilities:

Ammonia (glass cleaner) + salt = green

Banana + glass cleaner + egg = blue

Salt + glass cleaner + vinegar = purple

...and Pepto-Bismol + vinegar would turn it white!! ...in theory!

I'll post the results once I have tested it!  :)

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Brass Patina Experiments
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2014, 05:37:08 pm »
And here are some more examples of patinas we can achieve on brass using common household products!

The window cleaner + salt recipe I found on the interwebs. The others are my own experiments.

Eggs + vinegar seems to have a similar darkening effect as just eggs, but with a lot more black and some rust colored splotches here and there. About 6 hours into the process I noticed a lot of iridescence on the surface, but hours later that seemed to have almost completely disappeared. I wonder if I had taken the piece out at that time if I'd have a peacock effect on the surface. Must try that later!

Window cleaner + vinegar + salt gave it a bronze-like look. I like it!

And window cleaner + salt gives it the coveted verdigris. I bet if I left it longer or if I had a more potent ammonia (window cleaner barely has any, just enough to make it smell foul) the green would be even stronger.

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Joy Angel
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2015, 09:51:26 pm »
And some more stained glass works! This one is for my former boss, who's a bishop! Maybe I can score some contract doing some church windows, there's plenty of money to be had in there!  ;)

The pattern I used as reference called for a much darker skin and hair, the angel looked like Dora the Explorer, but I didn't have those colors of glass available so I used what I had, and ended up with a very Aryan angel!  ;)

Ausar

• Super Poster
  • Demon of Plenty
    • View Profile
    • Starfall
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2015, 01:21:36 am »
Beautiful piece, I could easily see people putting up similar angels in various color schemes as guardian angels. :)   When my brother, cousins and I were little, they used to tell us stories about guardian angels and we had some pictures and small figurines of them around the bed.
The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.