Author Topic: What Does The Fox Say?  (Read 64089 times)

Drubunneh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Autographs Collection - Nostalgia Critic
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2016, 05:50:32 am »
It had been a long time since I got any autographs, but today I got two from the Nostalgia Critic (Doug Walker) and crew! Yay!

So cool!

Also I looked up through some of your other posts on here. I never knew the foxy was so gorgeous!

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Autographs Collection - Nostalgia Critic
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2016, 09:49:21 am »
So cool!

Also I looked up through some of your other posts on here. I never knew the foxy was so gorgeous!

*blushes* Oh shush.     :)

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
3D Pantograph & Étretat Chinrest
« Reply #122 on: September 13, 2016, 03:45:29 am »
Some might have heard me babbling about my latest creation, a 3D pantograph (it has nothing to do with pants in 3D... Or David Bowie's pants from Labyrinth, which have legendary pronounced 3D features of their own!). I bought a bunch of parts from China for a 1000th of the cost that was buying them here, and... one was lost in the mail and a bunch of others the bearings are crap. But I changed the design and made it work!

Yes those are dumbbells.

So I finally finished it and put it to work today! It's loud, it makes a huge amount of dust, but it works! So for my first project, I decided to copy my custom-fit violin chinrest, which when I made last year took me about 4 days to make.

I copied the top part which was the really tricky part, and the dimensions, then made it different on the bottom part: The original one is side-mounted, the new one is center-mounted.

As I was working on it, I kept thinking, where have I seen this shape before... Then it hit me! It's Étretat, in France!

If nobody's got dibs on the name I'm calling this an Étretat style chinrest!   ;D
It's pretty much done, need to varnish it still, but yeah, 8 hours of work instead of 4 days, sounds pretty good to me! And now I have the ability to copy 3D objects! Weeee!

Je suis le Étretat mentonnière.

Lasvannon

• Virtuoso
    • View Profile
    • Its All A Dream
Re: What Does The Fox Say?
« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2016, 01:38:17 am »
So clever! SO VERY CLEVER!
"Come sing with me my pretties, come dance with me my lovelies, join in the ecstasy of Lasvannon Tol'Quiss"

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Brazilwood/Pernambuco Étretat Chinrest
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2016, 01:36:43 am »
Well, I made another one!

I got a hold of a hunk of ultra-rare Brazilwood (Caesalpinia echinata, aka. Pernambuco)... which was harvested before CITES listed it as endangered and became illegal to import it so don't send the attack helicopters and unmarked black vans to arrest me... Anyway, I got a hold of it and figured, why not!

So I'm also making a tailpiece and an end button and pegs for my Diva violin (the loud and temperamental one).

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Brazilwood/Pernambuco Tailpiece, Pegs and End Button on the 'Diva' Violin
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2016, 02:55:12 am »
"The fox has been quiet lately", someone says.
"He hasn't made anything in a while!", another says.

Yes, I have been quiet, but not inactive! While still clearing up the 'middle room' here to turn it into a proper workshop (the latest renovation work in the house), I've been making some more Pernambuco pieces for my violin!

Behold, the pegs, and end button!

Funny thing is, I can make all these pretty things, but I don't have the tool to properly fit it on the violin. So I figured by the time I bought the proper tools I could just pay the folks on the violin shop here to put them in for me. I left the violin with them last week and today it was done so I picked it up.

The tailpiece on that picture is also Pernambuco but that I had made a while ago. ...and of course, my custom chinrest!

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Violins' Cabinet
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2016, 12:22:16 pm »
Another thing I have been working on had been a cabinet to put my violins!
Normally they would just stay in their cases, but that's detrimental to practicing: When you want to practice, you have to open up the case, get the bow, get the violin, shoulder-rest, set everything up, play, then pack everything back in the case. Might not seem like much but it's surprisingly significant! Having them in a case brings to mind the old saying "out of sight, out of mind". There's much 'unpacking' and then 'packing back up'.
So having them in a cabinet where the only step to playing is opening up a door that's right there, setting it up and playing, and then just putting it right back in the cabinet is much simpler and more encouraging!

Like the other furniture stuff I've made, it's Western Red Cedar. This one I was on a shoestring budget so I had to make do with some very knotty boards I had rejected in the past, and had to get creative with being economy, but I think it came out Ok. Also doubles as spaces for movies and a drawer for things!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 12:24:27 pm by Ashtyn »

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Tiffany Lamp Base: Twisted Reeds
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2016, 07:32:40 pm »
I still don't have the workshop ready to resume making Tiffany lamps, but I've had some ideas for lamp bases. I'm trying to come up with a way to make them inexpensively, quickly, and simply.

...I haven't succeeded in making it simple, or too quick yet.  ;)

But here it is, this one is a prototype, inspired by Tiffany's original 'twisted reeds' design. It's made of solid copper with my own recipe of bronze patina.

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Xmas 2016
« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2016, 12:16:37 am »
So all the xmas stuff is in place finally! People will leave me alone for a few days now!  ;)

That in the back there is Dani, our Christmas dragon...

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Stradpet Titanium Fine Tuner & Chinrest Brackets
« Reply #129 on: December 24, 2016, 04:39:30 pm »
I got my Diva violin a couple of xmas presents: A titanium fine tuner and titanium chinrest brackets!

Of course the manufacturers of anything for stringed instruments claim "improvements in tone" and all sorts of other miracles, and 90% of the time it's all snakeoil. I didn't buy these for any supposed improvements, I bought them because titanium is awesome and they're different so my violin is a step closer to being a special snowflake!  ;)

That said, I noticed difference in the tone.
The fine tuner I was using before weights 3.4 grams. The titanium one weights 1.9 grams. Any change in weight on the tailpiece can cause differences in the tone. In this case, sounded like certain frequencies were de-dampened, some sounds seemed more open, resonating more freely. Which is neat. The chinrest brackets might have added to some openness in some frequencies too; the previous one the brackets weighted 18.5 grams. The titanium ones weight 9.2 grams, a huge difference! Again, any change in mass might make difference, some violins are more sensitive to such things than others.

Whichever the case, titanium!! Need I say more?  :)

Ausar

• Super Poster
  • Demon of Plenty
    • View Profile
    • Starfall
« Reply #130 on: December 24, 2016, 11:35:10 pm »
Nice. Which reminds me... now that Aryn and I do have a stable and fast connection to the net... will you stream something you play on the violin for us sometime? ;) 
The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 25, 2016, 12:20:21 am »
Nice. Which reminds me... now that Aryn and I do have a stable and fast connection to the net... will you stream something you play on the violin for us sometime? ;)

Sure. We'll have to set something up sometime.

Ani

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
  • Master of Bugcats
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 25, 2016, 10:13:02 am »
yesh!!

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Kitty's Violin
« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2017, 03:15:32 am »
Hi, my name is Fox, and I have a violin problem...

;)

I seem to be amassing a collection of violins!
Our lovely Aryn had a violin lying around, it belonged to his grandfather, and if I recall the story correctly nobody really cared about it at the time so Aryn ended up with it, but he doesn't play the violin so it was just in a closet somewhere. One day we were talking about music and violin stuffs, and he asked me if I wanted to have that old violin. OF COURSE I DID!   ;D

So he and Athian arranged to send it to me from Germany (and now because of a miscalculation, Athian has more bubblewrap than he will ever use), and it arrived here safe and sound, to great credit to Athian's packing skills, because the postal service did try to kill the poor thing, the box it came in was in tatters! But it arrived, and that's what's important!

As it arrived, I began the task of restoring it. First a very gentle cleaning to get rid of the dust of the decades. This poor thing has seen some extensive repairs in its past, but it's in perfect playing condition after cleaning and setting it up. The violin was unlabeled, but inside I found some interesting markings...

Inside, I found a big 'S' branded on the upper block, and what seems to be the letters 'C S' branded on the top plate and the bass bar.

On the back, south of the bass F-hole, I found some pencil scribbles that read "C.S.- = 2 1936".

I called upon experts to help solve the mystery of whom might have been the maker of this violin, but so far the search has come surprisingly vague. They agree that the violin was a relatively low-cost type, probably mass-produced, somewhere between 1880 and 1910, but it is not from Markneukirchen; the best candidate for source so far seems to be Schönbach, another important violin manufacture center at that time. But there is a very small chance that it could be Scottish! The Germans or Bohemians for the most part did not do linings like the ones inside this violin, but the Italians and the Scottish did! It's absolutely not Italian, so that leaves Scottish as a possibility! It could also be the work of some obscure maker not associated with any of the important violin making centers at the time. The date 1936 inside it is thought to be from when the repairs were done, not when the violin was made.

Squeee~!

Anyway, I cleaned it up, restored it, set it up with as much of the original parts as possible for authenticity, and put it to the test!

It has a rather lovely bright voice. I've said it makes me think of a Mozart soprano, it's very clean, very precise, very controlled, with just a little bit of warmth. My playing is still that of a novice so I'm gonna get my teacher to record something played on it and I'll post it later.  ;)

...the bow that came with it is a matter for another post another time. It needs to be restored but I don't possess the materials to work on it, so I'll take it to the archetier once I have money.

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Kitty's Violin Bow
« Reply #134 on: May 10, 2017, 09:14:54 pm »
A couple of weeks ago or so I did whatever repairs I could on the bow that came with the violin Aryn sent me, and then I dropped it off with the archetier for what I couldn't fix on my own. Today I went to pick it up!  :)

I had hopes that this would be a nice old German bow, but it is a 'student model', meaning the snobs with monocles turn their noses up to it because it's made of inferior wood and often not very well made, though the craftsmanship on this bow leaves nothing to wish for! Regardless, it was an old bow that needed my help! So I got it all fixed up!

As you can barely see on this picture I took when I first got the package, the bow is crummy, the hair is all worn and broken and cruddy, the lapping and leather were coming apart.

There was also a repaired crack by the screw, and a repaired broken tip. The crack by the screw seemed to be properly closed, if perhaps a bit sloppy (the archetier pointed that out), but the repair at the tip was atrocious. I can't re-hair bows, but I sure can undo a crappy fix and restore it properly!

The tip on this bow happens to be ivory, which was very good because I could use solvents without dissolving the tip too (a plastic tip wouldn't have survived the solvents I used). So after carefully swabbing with a cotton-swab and solvent for about 2 hours, I managed to undo the old repair job, then I cleaned it all up, and re-glued the parts properly and neatly:

That was as far as I could go. I could have touched-up the varnish but figured better let the archetier do that too. I've only done a French Polish twice, he's done it countless times.  ;)

So the bow was done yesterday and I went to pick it up today! It looks beautiful, with fresh new hair, new leather grip, and touched-up varnish. It was slightly warped once under tension, but he also corrected that (3 times, he said!).

Because it's a simpleton pedestrian student bow, we went with a simple, affordable double-leather fix: The leather grip and leather lapping instead of the traditional silver wire for the lapping. And he cleaned up the nickel-silver bits too.

Being a student bow doesn't mean it is a bad bow, but it is likely to have deficiencies with advanced techniques, and also the market value of it is only so much, so it's generally unwise to spend on it more than what it's worth, even if I have no intention of selling it.

...and look at that beautiful tip, all varnished again (with my restoration job too!):

I put it to the test when I got home. This is an interesting bow. I still need my teacher to give her opinion on it, because she can do all the crazy things I'm nowhere near able to do to really put it to the test, but I find it has some nice characteristics, and some that would take some getting used to. First, it's very, very light! The balance is just right but I'm used to a slightly heavier bow. And because these things are fickle, I tried it on all my fiddles, and amusingly, the one I liked it the least with was the violin Aryn sent, the one it was paired with to begin with!   ::)

The overall sound I got from it was generally strong and sharp, and I couldn't get good staccato with it but again I'm just a beginner still. My teacher will be the final judge on its quality! As far as personal preference goes, it still didn't beat my best bow, though. I'm putting it as my second-best for now. Maybe it will grow on me, but the good bow has been difficult to beat! I even like mine better than I like my teacher's and she has a really good and expensive one!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:18:28 pm by Ashtyn »