Author Topic: What Does The Fox Say?  (Read 64082 times)

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
My First SoundPost
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2017, 03:09:18 am »
(yes, more violin stuff!   ;)   )

Violins are intricate, pedantic, and fickle little wooden boxes! Out of the dozens of parts that make them, one of them is the sound post (or soundpost): It's a little dowel that stands by friction alone between the top plate and the bottom plate. It transmits vibrations between the plates and is stupidly immensely important and without it a violin doesn't work!

Soundpost adjustments are one of the 'simplest' ways to change the sound of your violin. Because the little piece of wood isn't glued, it can be nudged this way and that with a special tool, and that can change drastically the character and sound of the whole instrument!

And still with how important this little piece of wood is, some makers still get it not-entirely-right! That was the case of my 'Diva' violin, the soundpost was too long (0.5mm too long, to be precise!). So I had a new one made by my luthier here and put in, because back then I hadn't spent my experience points yet on that skill. But now I have!   ;D

So with the new skill acquired, I experimented removing and re-setting the soundpost on one of my cheap Chinese violins, then after the luthier offered me a job because I had done right on the first time what takes often months of training, I felt confident enough to set the soundpost on the violin Aryn gave me. Again I got it right on the first time, so, time to upgrade the skill!

I had another violin that the luthier had told me the soundpost was too long, but since I don't play it regularly I didn't spend the money getting a new soundpost in. But now that I have the skill (and the tools, and the materials), I figured I would do it myself!

So I made a 6.5mm round little piece of wood out of some awesome ancient Norwegian Spruce pieces I've got (piece-of-cake!), and took the old soundpost out of the violin and measured it. That one was actually a whole millimeter too long! I made mine of the right size, and with the incredibly precise angles at the ends to match the contours of the inside of the violin...

Then comes time to put it in and make sure it's right! The procedure is simple: Stab the soundpost with the sharp end of the soundpost setter, carefully maneuver it inside the violin through the treble F-hole, tilt this way, tilt that way, angle it just right, pull it between the top and bottom plates, and it should fit effortlessly! Which it did, on the first try.   :)    The soundpost setter should also dislodge itself from the soundpost effortlessly. Then you take a bunch of precise measurements and tap the soundpost with the weird-looking end of the soundpost setter to make sure it's precisely where it needs to be.

By the way, this is my first time using a proper soundpost setter tool! I didn't have one when I set the posts on the two other violins, because I'm poor, and was waiting for the one I bought really cheap from China to arrive but it took 40 days! So the tools I used were simply a couple of coat-hanger wires I sharpened and shaped to fit the purpose!

Top: The proper tool.
Bottom: WTF? But hey, I made it work!

Then put the bridge back in place, tighten the strings a bit, nudge the post a little more this way or that if it needs some fine adjustment, and there you have it!

Because I put the new one exactly where the old one was (I marked the position on the plates in case I screwed up and wanted to put it all back the way it was before I messed with it), I didn't notice any change in the character of the sound, but because there's less tension now restricting the plates there's a lot more resonance and projection. But these are fickle little wooden boxes, so I should give it a couple of days to adjust to the shorter soundpost before drawing final conclusions. But so far nothing got worse, so means I at least didn't screw up!  ;)

I'm becoming famous for my inside photos in the violin community. Check out this one, captured both contact points on the same shot!   ;D

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
My First Violin Bridge!
« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2017, 08:48:50 pm »
Following the success with making and setting a soundpost, I ventured into the world of making and fitting bridges! ...well, one bridge, so far. I practiced first doing some heavy adjustments on an overly-bulky bridge on one of my violins, and since that worked out, I felt confident enough to make a whole new bridge from scratch!

So, you start out with a blank. Bridge makers sell pre-cut blanks that have the basic layout already carved out, but you still have to cut a lot of wood out to make it work...

While I was at the luthier the other day I mentioned my interest in trying to cut a bridge myself, so he picked a couple of nice ones from his stock for me to work on.

So, basically, you get these specialized super-sharp knives (you think a razor blade is sharp you haven't seen a bridge cutting knife yet! It's scary-sharp!) and whittle away until you get some mad complicated and precise geometry...

Yes, I have a tiny little fox stamp.

...then set it up and see what it sounds like.  :)

I made it for the violin Aryn gave me, because the bridge on it was very old, kinda crummy, and the top was very flat, which made it difficult for me to play cleanly on it. This one I copied the angle from my 'Diva' violin and now it's a pleasure to play!

06/02/2017

The luthier checked out the bridge I made and fully approved of it, so I'm adding 'violin bridge making' to my Skills List.  ;)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 12:03:29 am by Ashtyn »

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Violin Bridge Jack / Strings Jack
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2017, 12:07:56 am »
Today I made a bridge jack tool!

That tool is used for lifting the strings gently off the bridge so you can take it off and do things to it without having to loosen the strings back and forth, which is time-consuming to keep having to re-tune them, and also isn't good for the strings to get tightened and loosened over and over.

I made it with mahogany!  ...and a customized screw, a couple of nuts, and some bits of metal and cork.   :)

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Dwarf Jade Bonsai
« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2017, 11:14:55 pm »
We were out today and stopped by a nursery, and I got a couple of dwarf jade plants (Portulacaria afra) to make bonsai!

They aren't much to look at just yet, the first one here has some growing to do to be in proportion with the pot, but they're cute!

This one has a Salvador Dali style crutch.

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Violin Restoration
« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2017, 08:48:50 pm »
I've attempted my first violin restoration, and I think I succeeded.  ;)

The violin Aryn gave me had a few blemishes, comes with being 100+ years old and all that. Since I've been working to put it back in good playing order as far as the sound goes, I figured I should take care of the aesthetics too! But more important, it had spots where bare wood was showing, and that's not good!

One spot on the side had a big chip taken off it, along with some other scuffs...

...and on the bottom there was some wear from some intense shoulder-rest action that rubbed the varnish right off on both sides!

So I got to work, first researching on the instrument. I learned that violins of this period and from the provenance this one is believed to come from had color applied right to the wood underneath the first layer of varnish, then amber-toned varnish on top of colorless varnish. Complicated stuff! I could have cooked up some varnish and that takes time and money, but when I was telling one of the luthiers I know about the restoration project she told me to just stop by and use their varnish!  :D

After cleaning up the area to be patched, I made a roughly shaped patch of matching spruce, and glued it there. When the glue cured, I went about shaping it to match the contours of the rest of the violin.

Once that was all done, came the task of matching the base color. The back was incredibly easy! The top took a bit more work, but I got it satisfactorily close to what I believed was the color beneath the varnish. So today I went to the luthier, and started varnishing! Took about 3 hours with several ultra-thin coats, but here it is!

Like it never happened!

The back was the easiest part once again. The top, the color had to be very carefully blended, but it came out pretty nice if you ask me.  ;)

And while I was there, the luthier was messing with it and the E and the G pegs were terribly worn (again, 100+ years...), so while we waited for the varnish to dry she made me a couple of new pegs! Yay! It's been a good day for this old violin!   :)

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Accidental Pumpkins
« Reply #140 on: July 15, 2017, 04:45:38 pm »
We got some 'accident of birth' pumpkins coming up, as last year's seeds from Halloween were carelessly spilled on the fertile ground of the garden here!

It's funny that when we tried to grow pumpkins, they always just get about fist-sized, then rot and die. These we did absolutely nothing for them, they grew just fine...

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Autographs Collection - Joshua Bell
« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2017, 03:47:10 pm »
Another long time without any new autographs, but today I got one from violinist Joshua Bell!   ;D

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Homemade Spool Clamps
« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2017, 12:30:08 am »
I'm gonna be opening up a violin soon as I continue on my journey learning how to service these fickle wooden boxes, so I figured I would need some spool clamps to close it back up. And of course these are unreasonably expensive to buy, so I made my own!  (a good set of 30 is about $100)

I took a long thick dowel I had lying around, some cork mats I also had lying around, some 4-inch carriage bolts and wing-nuts from eBay surprisingly not from China but still at only $10 for packs of 25 (HomeDepot sells them for $1.60 each bolt!).

I started by chopping up the dowel into a bunch of equally-sized pieces, then glued them to the cork, waited a couple of days for the glue to fully dry, cut them all out with a band-saw, refined the shape with the belt sander, drilled a hole through them, threaded the screws, and voila!

If I ever make more of these I actually would do it different, though. My method proved to be more labor-intensive than I predicted. Next time I would glue a flat piece of wood of the right thickness to the cork, then use a hole saw to drill/cut them out at same time.

I can't wait to get to use them! :)

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Homemade Luthier Thickness Gauge
« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2017, 06:09:50 pm »
Continuing on the trend of making highly specialized luthier tools with whatever I have lying around, I made a thickness gauge!  ;D
(these are used to measure the thickness of the various oddly curved shapes inside a violin where you can't get a regular caliper on)

It's a piece of oak, cut in the shape of a lyre because I wanted it to be more than just a plain  [  bracket shape (and the whole thing with Apollo's lyre and god of music and all that, it's symbolic as well as practical), with a cheap but accurate digital caliper I had, some brass screws, rubber band, and a couple of burnt LEDs for the tips! ;)

I considered putting a little lever on it but it's really easy to raise the measuring bit the way it is with a thumb or just pulling on it so I think I'll just leave it as it is, since it's working just fine.

A good one of these costs anywhere from $100 to $300. I already had all the stuff so I didn't have to buy anything, but adding up the costs it would be about $5 for the oak, $8 for the calipers, $2 for the screws and nuts, and whatever two LEDs and a rubber-band cost. Anyway, less than $20 in total.  ;)

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Middle-Room / Workshop Renovation
« Reply #144 on: August 11, 2017, 10:43:25 pm »
It's done! It's doOooOooOoNE!!!   ;D

Finally, after literally years in the works, I finished work in the room here in the house that will become my workshop! The ceiling, walls, floor, trims, everything, it's done, ready to be filled with shelves and tools and workbenches and all the things I need to have a proper workshop for my various crafts!

As you can see the place for the cats at the window and my plants had extreme priority, going in as soon as the walls were finished!
On top is a violin case, and on the bottom is my 7-terabytes file server array.

The reason it took so long is because this room was completely filled with clutter (belonging to Tye and his mom) from floor to ceiling, and they didn't want me to simply throw it all away, but also couldn't bother to sort through said clutter. Other reasons for delays included the fact that I had to do all the work by myself, because again, nobody here helps. And I had a budget of nothing!

But it's done! Tomorrow I'll start moving in my jewelry tools/equipment in there and maybe the stained glass stuffs.

I chose that color for the walls because it photographs extremely well as a backdrop, and I'll be setting up a little corner in there for proper photography of the things I make. It will be good to have proper spaces assigned for things, instead of improvised.

Ausar

• Super Poster
  • Demon of Plenty
    • View Profile
    • Starfall
Re: What Does The Fox Say?
« Reply #145 on: August 12, 2017, 01:34:10 am »
Hey, congratulations! I am really curious to see how you will fill up that room with stuff that allows you to work your various crafts. The room has a rather interesting shape, from what I can see. ;)
The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
First Concert with the Strings Ensemble!
« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2017, 10:39:03 pm »
I had my first concert today with the FHASE group, and it was awesome!    ;D

I got a picture from just before the concert when we were doing sound checks; I'm the one in red on the left.

And I also got video(s)!
They came out Ok, considering the distance the camera was (to get everybody in the frame), however, Tye was operating the camera and he was supposed to pause on the intermissions, but he was a bit abrupt in doing so! But nothing musical was lost so all is well!  ;)

Also the camera angle is terrible because I'm 90% of the time covered by another violinist! But you can still see my red shirt!

The first link is the entire concert, with our group and the cello orchestra. It's about 316MB in size and one-and-a-half hour long, and the second one is just the intro and my group's part, 139MB in size and 40 minutes long.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_j84Rsx8g8jT0tvdW15eWRSX2s/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_j84Rsx8g8jWV9fSXdKTEdwRDg/view?usp=sharing

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Autographs Collection - William Shatner
« Reply #147 on: November 05, 2017, 12:07:56 am »
Not violin stuff for a change!  ;)

It's been over 3 years since I sent an autograph request to William Shatner (January 2014), and today (11/04/2017) I got my envelope back!
Unfortunately there was no personalized autograph, just a letter thanking me for my kind words to him and explaining he's too busy so he can't be signing autographs for everyone, and a print of an autographed photo (and the original photo I had sent him).

Still yay, kinda!  :)

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Happy Halloween 2017!
« Reply #148 on: November 05, 2017, 05:40:19 am »
It's been a while since we had any truly worthwhile Halloween haunting done around here. The past few years have been basically pumpkins.
This year was no different really, except we had a Halloween dragon, to go along with our Xmas dragon.  ;)

But I figured I'd post some pictures of the pumpkins as the carvings were more involved than the usual Jack-o-Lantern face. It wasn't even our biggest number of pumpkins, only 11 (our record is 45), but here, have some Halloween goodness regardless!

I thought this one was cool with the dragon and the pumpkins and the moon as the sun was setting (behind me).

And as darkness fell...

The tiny one on the left is the only pumpkin we ever successfully grew in our garden! It even got its own post earlier this year!
http://sculptyworks.com/lismore/index.php?topic=1564.msg11071#msg11071

This one was supposed to be the 'Gray Lady' from the library in Ghost Busters.

Cerberus...

Some pumpkin face...

Another pumpkin face...

A skull.

A character from Hollow Knight I think. Tye made this one.

Eddie!

...and Eleven, doing her thing.

Then we ended the night with Purple People Eaters.

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Grandpa
« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2017, 04:48:26 pm »
This is a sad post, so if you're already down because of holiday depression or something, you might want to avoid it.

Today December 22, 2017, my grandfather on my mother's side has died.

Since my parents were divorced, and my father was basically in a constant state of inebriation and/or high (he was an alcoholic and drug addict), my grandfather was the father figure I had when growing up.

He was born in 1927, and had nothing short of an amazing life. He worked extremely hard during his childhood, and studied hard. He came from a poor family, so growing up he didn't have much. He was an athlete in his early years, and graduated as an engineer, but he had a passion for aviation, so he got a job at an airline company, because on his interview there the owner of the company himself said "if you work hard, you can even go aboard [the airplanes]", which was ultimately his intention. He started out as a mechanic, and eventually got his pilot's license and went on to fly planes all over the world.

He married my grandmother I think around his early 20's, and they had four daughters. My grandmother inherited from her father the farm and land some of you might have heard me speak of, and my grandfather went on to manage and administer it, well, but with an iron fist, which would later on create conflicts whenever someone had a different opinion.

After flying all over the world (except Antarctica), saving two airplanes in emergency landings after catastrophic engine failure, he retired from aviation and went on to study biology, and became a botanist. By then I was tagging along with him on his 'research trips', when we would go to the middle of nowhere, sometimes just to confirm that some lone species of plant existed in that place. We visited many places of outstanding natural beauty. He didn't care much about cities, but he loved an open field or a forest or a jungle. He became an almost obsessive conservationist/naturalist, which could become annoying at times since we owned a farm but more and more he tried to turn it into a natural reserve so less and less 'farm things' could be done, and the place would eventually become so overgrown, I had trouble recognizing some areas on photos I've seen recently.

He was a professor of biology and botany at two universities down there in Brazil, and traveled far and wide going on scientific conventions and events, and I often tagged along as well; as former pilot, back in the day, he could just hop into a plane and go, and because he was a very distinguished pilot, he could take whomever he wanted along with him. The younger generations of pilots all had heard of him and were glad to have him aboard. (I was bumped to First Class whenever the crew knew who my grandfather was)

In his lifetime, he planted more trees than I know anyone else to have done. We're talking tens of thousands of trees! I might have got my love for plants from him, though I like them in smaller proportions, thus my bonsai. I did pick some on botany from him.

He was a beekeeper, and we had our own hives at the farm. I still think the honey our bees made was the best honey I've ever tasted. And to maintain the hives, he had a workshop, where I would spend hours just nailing pieces of wood together or carving them into pointless shapes, but from there I learned to use everything from a basic hammer to properly sharpened wood gouges. I loved that workshop, the smell of the wood and some of the beeswax/honey is still fresh in my mind! Alas, I often had to sneak in there, because he kept the place under lock and key, being very possessive of his things.

He played the flute, I don't know at what age he started, but it was in his early teens, and he went on to play with the biggest symphonic orchestra there was down there. He was good, but spent years without practicing, so what I remember of him playing is actually him picking it back up years later, so lots of practice, which is never as good as a concert itself. I never saw him play an actual concert, but I have a recording of one. A few years ago he broke his hand and because of that couldn't play the flute anymore, and I know that deeply saddened him.

He amounted an extensive library, in subjects ranging from general knowledge encyclopedias, to mineralogy and astronomy, natural history, and of course biology and plants. And I devoured the knowledge on the books when growing up! I owe most of what I've learned on my formative years to that library.

We had a beach house, and he loved going there, he loved taking stupidly long walks on the beach, and often I walked with him. But I have mixed feelings about liking and not liking to go to the beach. I liked it when I was a little fox, but as I grew older I started disliking it. He loved the beach, to the very end!

His health was as far as I know rather good, though he always caught the flu, every year. Around 60 he had surgery to remove gallbladder stones, and in his 80's he underwent radiotherapy for some prostate growth. He suffered from tachycardia as long as I can remember, and he was a bit of a drama-queen, so whenever something would hit he would act like he was dying, even if it was just a stubbed toe. But at same time he would stubbornly keep to his routine: Teach Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and go to the farm on Wednesdays and weekends. Always! The routine only changed in his mid 80's when my grandmother started to get tired of it and throw fits about it. Only in the past couple of years he stopped teaching full-time, and his goings to the farm became less frequent.

Still, this time of the year was the time to go to the beach. So to the beach he went. He was sick with a cold, having trouble breathing, refusing to take antibiotics because he was terrified of the potential side-effects, but he truly wanted to go to the beach! So he packed my grandmother and my sister and niece in the car and to the beach they went! He loved the sea, and they drove though the road that goes right along the sea on their way there, so he got to see it one last time. A couple of nights ago he was having trouble breathing, so they took him to the hospital. He had pulmonary edema, and at some point in the night had a heart attack. The doctors sent for relatives then, because he wasn't going to last.

My grandfather was a great man. We had disagreements, he did things that made me think "what the fuck are you doing?!", and if I have one true major complaint about him was that he was a penny-pincher. But through any troubles we've had, for every one bad time, we had a hundred good times, and while he was not one to show much emotion unless he was angry, he did love us, and we loved him. And I will miss him dearly!

Rest in peace, grandpa!