Author Topic: What Does The Fox Say?  (Read 64081 times)

Lasvannon

• Virtuoso
    • View Profile
    • Its All A Dream
Re: What Does The Fox Say?
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2016, 11:39:53 pm »
This is very clever. Somewhat brave as well! I do not think i would have the balls to attach that to a new violin! However, as you said, it works and saves loads of cash!
"Come sing with me my pretties, come dance with me my lovelies, join in the ecstasy of Lasvannon Tol'Quiss"

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Fox's Bedroom Closet
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2016, 09:37:28 pm »
For anyone wondering what I've been up to that RL suddenly consumed all my time, here it is!

My bedroom closet was basically a catch-all full of clutter. And the water heater was in there for some reason! So with much toil I took all the clutter out of there, moved the water heater to a better location (the utilities closet where the washer and dryer are), then patched up the walls which had lots and lots of damage, painted it, equipped it to handle clothes, not clutter, and moved all my clothes and closet-related things in there today!

Ani

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
  • Master of Bugcats
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2016, 09:41:41 pm »
*paws the closet*

Xela

• Global Moderator
  • Phoenix Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2016, 03:15:12 pm »
Ashy, get out of the closet! :P

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Zootopia
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2016, 12:54:15 am »
So I've gone and seen Zootopia! I think it might be my new favorite movie! It's really nice, and it's so freaking cute! ...like OMG SO CUTE I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WItH MYSELF!!!

If you haven't seen it yet, go see it!

Oh gods I'm gonna die of overcuteness from that fennec in the elephant suit!!

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Grapevine Bonsai Update
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2016, 01:17:30 pm »
It's spring! Time to plant things!
I pruned the grapevines outdoors, and planted the cuttings I didn't think would make good bonsai. Now I'm left with two of those, and they are growing happily! Ash the little gray cat likes them too!

Novaku

• Chaos Personified
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
  • Welcome, to oblivion!
    • View Profile
    • Nova's Youtube Channel
Re: Grapevine Bonsai Update
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2016, 01:44:04 pm »
Ash the little gray cat likes them too!

You mean, Ash loves laying in the sun and tolerates your plants taking spot there....for now.
"We are nothing but pawns in the world, in this  world that is nothing but a game. Our actions, our fates are bound decided by the game, we move because the game commands us to do so. Only the players know what faith will befall us for we signify nothing but strategic movements." Valencia Versthaler

Xela

• Global Moderator
  • Phoenix Ruler
    • View Profile
Re: Grapevine Bonsai Update
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2016, 05:08:44 pm »
Ash the little gray cat likes them too!

You mean, Ash loves laying in the sun and tolerates your plants taking spot there....for now.

"When are they going to pay rent for my sun spot?"

SallyEliwood

• View Profile
Re: Zootopia
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2016, 07:00:11 pm »
So I've gone and seen Zootopia! I think it might be my new favorite movie! It's really nice, and it's so freaking cute! ...like OMG SO CUTE I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WItH MYSELF!!!

If you haven't seen it yet, go see it!

Oh gods I'm gonna die of overcuteness from that fennec in the elephant suit!!

Excellent movie. I walked 4 miles from work, to the movie theater, just to see it. Worth the trip. Not even exaggerating, I walked down a highway, crossed the missouri river on a bridge with no proper sidewalk, and got partially lost in a confusing maze of off-ramps and on-ramps, just to get to the theater because it was the only day of the entire week that I was off work in time to get to the theater before the final showing. WORTH IT.

The absolutely wonderful message the movie had, enjoyable story, and amazingly well animated characters, make it well deserving of the records it broke. On that note: Frozen got it's ass handed to it by Zootopia, which broke Frozens release week records.~ I hope "Try Everything" washes away that damn song "Let it go"

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Back Bathroom Renovation
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2016, 01:04:05 pm »
Tye's mom got some money, so we got started on a long overdue renovation of the back bathroom (the one she primarily uses here). The bathroom was a gross blue color (like that blue thing on the back of the door on the photos) and had completely outdated fixtures from the 80's and mold, lots and lots of mold! So it was about time for it to go!

Also it had no windows. Apparently that's usual in many places (specially here in the U.S.), but I can't grasp the concept of a bathroom without a window! So I made the executive decision that I was going to install a window in this bathroom!

We started by gutting the bathroom. Everything had to go! Because it was so poorly built, it was rather easy to demolish. Of course, that's when we ran into some wallboards with mysterious fibers in them, so I took a sample to be tested. Thankfully it wasn't asbestos, just fiberglass. Oh and the subfloor under the shower and toilet is rotted and needs replacing! I say there's a rule about renovations: The moment you start opening up walls, you find horrors you were never prepared for! More on that in a moment...

With demolition done, mold taken care of, I prepared the area to cut a hole in the wall for the window. That's when I found out how horribly built this part of the house was. This bathroom is on an addition that was built by the previous owners who supposedly were contractors; they were also rumored to steal materials from their job sites to do their own projects. Too bad that didn't translate into stealing quality materials, or enough amounts of them to build things right! As I cut into the wall I found out that there is no outside wall to the addition! The siding is going right on some thin foam sheet insulation that's nailed to the studs! And there's no way I can fix it unless I take out the entire siding on that side of the house and re-build it as it's supposed to be! Dumbshits! No wonder contractors have such horrible reputation! Oh and I don't think they ever learned how to install insulation inside the walls! Little patches here and there don't do it!

So I remedied the situation as best I could on the part of wall I had exposed to work with, installed the window properly, and now just have to get on with replacing the rotted subfloor... then installing the cement backer boards, drywall, tiles, paint, fixtures, and it will be all pretty and not leaky and not moldy!

03/29/2016

Today the plan was to start work replacing the rotted subfloor boards, buuuuuut when I cut them off I found out the shitheads who built this part of the house had made some horrible structural screw-ups! Most glaring, they cut one of the freaking floor joists and left it dangling with no support and no nothing! Morons! Dickheads! Cost me the entire day repairing the damage they did before I can resume work on the floor!

A very angry fox repairing floor joists.

04/08/2016

Work continues on that stupid bathroom! I've been taking my time with it because 1) I don't have a crew, 2) I don't care, 3) I have better things to do than work non-stop on it.  ;)

...specially considering how frustrating it is. We took down the ceiling the other day, just to find out that the ceiling joists and the rafters on that side of the house are built wrong. ....oh and guess what! One of the joists was also cut, so, more time-consuming repairs to the structure of the house before any of the work I set out to do could be done.

But now that all the horrors have been repaired, my new floor is in, new ceiling, I can continue on the work on the walls. I put proper insulation the other day, and did the plumbing for the shower. Now just need to do the cement base for the shower, put the walls in place, tiles, fixtures, and it will be done!

05/20/2016

Well, the floor and walls are all up, or... down in the case of the floor. It's been impossibly humid here so things have been taking forever to dry! And I've been procrastinating! But work continues and maybe by the end of next week I'll be putting down tile on the floor or painting the walls, or maybe both! We'll see!

06/19/2016

After cutting a bunch of tiles the previous days, staging them to make sure everything fits where it's supposed to go, I started laying the tiles on the bathroom floor! Started with the shower area, and I had to get a special thinset because the one I had wasn't recommended for shower floors.  :P   ...so I had to mix it myself. I hate mixing my own thinset. But here it is! I ran out of the batch I had mixed at same time I ran out of spacers so I called it a day there. Now have to wait a couple of days for it to dry!

07/8/2016

Work continues, very slowly, on the back bathroom! Since I'm the only one doing it with no help from anyone here, I decided I will do it at my own leisure pace and it will get done whenever it gets done, damnit! I'm not gonna hurry.  :P
So, the floor tiles are all in place, and now all grouted. I also installed the vanity/sink which is on the spot I was standing for this photo (I'll take a photo of that later), and maybe if I feel like it tomorrow I'll install the toilet. The shower walls still need their tiles, but I decided to finish the rest first so at least the bathroom will be usable for everything but bathing.
...and that door will need to have something done to it too, but I'll get to it when I get to it.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 09:03:02 pm by Ashtyn »

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
The fox, the cat, and the fiddle!
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2016, 09:38:16 pm »
I had a playing partner... or was he audience? Either way, the little gray cat decided he was going to keep me company while I played tonight...

...my hair looks terrible!

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Grapevine Bonsai
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2016, 12:51:54 pm »
And here's my favorite of the bunches of grapevines I picked to make bonsai! It's establishing itself well in the pot, so now the training begins! In a few years it will be a beautiful little tree!

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
My New Violin: A Stradivarius "Hellier" Copy
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2016, 02:14:35 pm »
I got a new baby!

This one has an intricate provenance story but basically it was given to me by my former boss. My local luthier was stumped by it because it has no label and no distinct markings that indicate who/where it was made, so she gave me the contact info of some experts in Maryland and they say it's a copy of the "Hellier" Stradivarius, which is neat!

It sounds quite nice, but I need to save up to get some better strings.  :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 01:29:05 am by Ashtyn »

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Back Bathroom - DONE!!
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2016, 02:19:42 pm »
It's done! It's finally done! That stupid back bathroom is done!  ;D

There's some distortion in the pictures because of the panoramic view, but there it is at last! Only took 4 freaking months to finish! That's what happens when you have one single lonely fox doing all the work, on a shoestring budget, and with absolutely no motivation or desire to get it done after having to deal with fixing structural problems on the house!   :P

I inaugurated it this morning! The shower there is sublime! ...now I need to re-do my bathroom because it's a piece-of-crap by comparison.  ;)

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
Autographs Collection - Nostalgia Critic
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2016, 09:08:42 pm »
It had been a long time since I got any autographs, but today I got two from the Nostalgia Critic (Doug Walker) and crew! Yay!