Poll

Should Edhel Valentine be amongst the casualties of the demon takeover plot?

No!
3 (21.4%)
Yes!
6 (42.9%)
I don't give a damn!
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 11, 2013, 12:43:39 am

Author Topic: Edhel's Fate  (Read 10031 times)

Edhel

• View Profile
Edhel's Fate
« on: December 08, 2013, 12:43:39 am »
   So as the plot with the demons taking over Lismore progresses, we've come to an interesting crossroads, and I figured to avoid any bias, I would make a self-centered totally selfish poll here to gauge the players opinion on this matter!

Now keep in mind, the vast majority of this information is not known IC by anyone other than Fangshi, Xian, and Dru. After you've read and voted or voiced your opinion, pretend you never read this!

Edhel Valentine was instrumental in the hostile takeover on the palace. His sister and wife Fangshi was the one who wanted to rule Lismore, and being hopelessly devoted and in love with her, he was not about to deny her that.

Lately though, Fang has been committing acts that he strongly disagrees with, but again, is somewhat helpless under her boot because of his love and devotion to her. But he realizes it won't be long 'till Fang does something that pushes the balance of things against them. So he started taking precautions, to in the end, save his own ass!

He even has been heard speaking openly about how bad of a job Fang is doing and how he disagrees with her, but is incapable of acting against her. Some would say it's because of his demonic rank being beneath hers so she has control over him, others would say it's simply because he can't act against her, for whatever myriad of reasons.

So as it stands, Edhel has prepared for the fall quite well! He has at his disposal many resources, and theoretically could even walk out of the whole deal scott-free.

This is all ICly. ICly the character has secured himself ways to escape this dreadful fate once things turn against them. Him surviving is what's on the cards ICly currently!

BUUUUT...... It's a complaint we hear often, usually about other sims, that the staff characters never die, or that they get favoritism, or something like that. So I wanted to know people's opinions, if they think Edhel Valentine should end up dead after all this, or if he can be given a 'second chance'.

....and don't worry, you bloodthirsty ones, Fang is not gonna walk away from this! ...unless somehow on the last moment some player intervenes and messes everything up and allows her to live.  ;)

Caex

• Magetech Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Edhel's Fate
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 02:13:47 am »
jack has it in his mind to kill the whole lot. every last person who had a hand in the take over would be put to the axe in his mind.

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 02:20:03 am »
jack has it in his mind to kill the whole lot. every last person who had a hand in the take over would be put to the axe in his mind.

Yes but that's your character's intentions.

The question here is about you, as the player! Do you think that a character who was clever to arrange for a way out should still meet his end, or do you concede that they might get away with their crimes since they were clever about it?

Think of it as the Roman gladiators! And you are the spectators who decide their fate! When the fight is over, did he fight well and deserves to live, or should he be killed in the arena?   ;)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 02:22:33 am by Ashtyn »

Xela

• Global Moderator
  • Phoenix Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 03:43:14 am »
I vote against having him die.

Sure, he was a big part of the plot to take out Xian, but as stated its because of Fang mainly he has gone down this path.

While it makes sense for the character to be killed for what he has done, I don't think its the best option for RP. (I admit, I tend to wish to avoid character deaths, especially with characters that my characters get along with)

I think a more interesting option would be to strip him of his power and status, (maybe even demonisum.. can that be cured?) and have him have to earn back (or not) the trust of Lismore to prove it was Fang's doing.
Character death tends to be an abrupt end of a character's use and I find it doesn't really lead to much rp, (unless you've got people trying to raise the dead of course) where a punishment and redemption would lead to more rp in my opinion as Edhel goes through most likely anger, acceptance and maybe even redemption and hope.

Novaku

• Chaos Personified
  • Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
  • Welcome, to oblivion!
    • View Profile
    • Nova's Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 04:26:45 am »
I think a more interesting option would be to strip him of his power and status, (maybe even demonisum.. can that be cured?) and have him have to earn back (or not) the trust of Lismore to prove it was Fang's doing.

Well the thing is...something like that has already happened before (Fang) and ultimately it didn't help at all...and the apparatus that was used to strip Fang of her powers is no more either.
"We are nothing but pawns in the world, in this  world that is nothing but a game. Our actions, our fates are bound decided by the game, we move because the game commands us to do so. Only the players know what faith will befall us for we signify nothing but strategic movements." Valencia Versthaler

Aryn Gentlepaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 04:30:06 am »
Hm, thats always a tricky question. Ofc noone wants to lose his/her character, but then it could kinda open up pretty reckless play because if someone does not want the character to die, then it won't.

ICly, well... high treason, blackmail, coercion, rape, attempted murder etc. Would make no sense to let someone get away with that.

OOCly... ofc don't wanna lose a good RP character, so if what Xela suggests is the kind of character development that will really happen, redemption and hope etc. then yes, he should live. Otherweise it really would make no sense to let someone live just so he tries the same some time later again ;)

So for now I did not vote, it would really depend on OOC reasons.

For the rest of the Valentines... ICly I think they should be stripped of the rank/titles of noble and maybe work to redeem themselves. It would fall to Rowan to prove that his family still derserves to be treated as nobility after such a coup.
Heaven starts with a smile :)

Drubunneh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 04:46:07 am »
I don't mind what happens to him so long as it makes sense to the story. Though I will IM you about it when you're online Ash

Ausar

• Super Poster
  • Demon of Plenty
    • View Profile
    • Starfall
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 05:40:28 am »
I will not vote on this. The question if a character lives or dies should for the most part remain with the player. I will, however, say that I expect to see severe repercussions for Edhel, should he live. Having him IC go pretty much unscratched would always feel like powerplay, simply because the powers involved hold too many other roles and functions within the game's cosmos.

Besides, we do the roleplay to tell stories and hold them as dear memories. I don't want to see rape, high treason and murder go by unpunished. That would not be the kind of storytelling I seek. Real life is bleak enough as it is for many of us, so while I don't mind bad things to happen plot-wise, I am hoping for happy endings in here. And hey, maybe some kinds of punishment can even transform Edhel over time.

I agree with Aryn that not only Fang and Edhel should be facing the music. No matter how you toss and turn it, while they may have not involved other members of their family (speaking mostly about the town's branch of Valentines here) directly in the action, those at the very least knew that they were up to something and didn't bother to warn others or seek IC help outside of the family to stop it (to my knowledge, if such could be proven during a trial, all the better for the RP). So yeah, I could see Lady Dru, Xahu or Lord Emir strip them of their titles and wealth - at least until they have done some things IC to redeem themselves.
The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.

MysticLancer

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 07:49:32 am »
I would vote that he suffers the same fate as Fang at most, but if it is decided that he live, he should be banished ICly from lismore permanently.

Husky Dragon

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 08:17:58 am »
He committed high treason. :P I can't think of a logical reason why he wouldn't be put to death or banished.

Felaeris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 05:46:14 pm »
I'm with Caex on this. Edhel might think he's in a position to escape, but... it's a house of cards. Even if Fang is at the top once she tumbles the whole thing is coming down. It was a crude gamble with too many 'assumptions' and weak plot points. What should have been clever deceit has been pretty transparent the whole time. There might not even be a House Valentine after this is over.

Tenaar Feiri

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 06:02:18 pm »
I'm with Caex on this. Edhel might think he's in a position to escape, but... it's a house of cards. Even if Fang is at the top once she tumbles the whole thing is coming down. It was a crude gamble with too many 'assumptions' and weak plot points. What should have been clever deceit has been pretty transparent the whole time. There might not even be a House Valentine after this is over.

That was always the point for it to be pretty transparent ;] Fang isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer & Edhel does what she tells him to without question.
And no, House Valentine will most likely no longer be around after this. But that is kind-of up to the players to decide.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 06:11:14 pm by Tenaar Feiri »

Lili

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 10:53:58 am »
It's really up to you, what you do with your character. The only reason i kinda like to end him is because i liked the suggestion that Quinn could take out one of the twins, as we talked about before, but it's not that important and would only serve me and my character for the most part to develop, and had no positive side for anyone else, therefor i also don't mind if Edhel escapes in some way or the other and survives.

But what i may want to give in for consideration is, that Edhel probably has little to no normal live in Lismore no matter what he does, unless he decides to disguise himself for eternity, as people will go and try to kill him and take revenge in the end. n..n

Considering their Alignment i can also say that much: Quinn would without a doubt demand him to be punished and his life taken, for he committed enough crimes, and there is only one punishment that is considered sufficient as a pay back. He needs to be slain.

Kira however, who has much more of a chaotic good alignment, and is much more driven by moral would probably spare him depending on how he behaves. If he can be honestly considered regretful to what happened, death is not the choice to take... but it would be either exile or spending his days locked away for many many years. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:55:57 am by Lili »
MAU!

Edhel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 11:31:26 pm »
Actually one option was for him to go undercover and disguise himself for eternity, but we've ran into technical problems there and if it can't be done in a truly sneaky way like I wanted, I won't do it.

So as it looks, he will go byebye!

Edhel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 08:03:39 pm »
(only a few people know the details of the following post. Please don't metagame the information you find here)

During the attack at the inn, a demon hunter (Quinn) saw the opportunity to venture into the palace, intent on killing the Valentine demons!

She found one of the foxramaus in the kitchen, having a snack. She quickly announced her intentions. Edhel called the guards, but there was none within earshot, most the guards busy with the events taking place elsewhere in town! Quinn attacked, Edhel evaded, shot

Quinn with lightning, they struggled, and Quinn injured Edhel and thrust her sword through his chest, then proceeded to behead him with her powerful claws! ...and then with her sword because she was in a hurry!

Guards finally arrived, but failed to contain the assassin, who escaped, with the foxramau head. Upon exiting the palace, Quinn brandished the foxramau head and shouted "CITIZENS OF LISMORE! EDHEL VALENTINE, THE FALSE LORD OF LISMORE IS DEAD!", then proceeded to flee with several palace guards pursuing her.

In the chaoes that ensued, a fennec could have been witnessed exiting the palace, hurrying to the Valentines house. Before too long after that, the a fennec could have been seen taken a heavily-cloaked Teren An'Nodas Valentine out of the house in a hurry, and out of the city, to the docks, where they boarded a ship with provisions for a long voyage.

The following letter was left to Rowan Jr.:
(the letter's contents are known to Rowan only. Nobody else knows it unless he tells them. It's posted here so it stays on record)

My dearest son Rowan Fangshi Valentine,

By the time you read this letter, chances are 'my head' will be on a spike, proudly displayed amidst some demon hunter trophies, or as a symbolic token of Lismore's ever-enduring lack of respect for their nobles!

After that assassination attempt, I figured it was just a matter of time until someone would try again, so I had to take a few precautions. Taking Oba-Musa has made me aware of many things. Things I can't begin to describe! His knowledge was so vast, an eternity would be needed to explore all of it! I knew eventually the time would come when I would have to say farewell.

I want you to know that I have always loved you, and that you are the purest, most beautiful foxramau there ever will be! Find a beautiful female and pass on your bloodline. Your half-sister Kleopatra has ramau blood, and my own as well. Breed her! Breed her cubs! You will make the most beautiful cubs ever!

There's no telling what will become of my beautiful, beloved Fangshi after I'm gone. I trust she will know that I loved her to the very end! I had countless lovers, but I never loved anyone like I loved your mother. For her, I would have the world burn, and I would pluck the stars out of the sky if she so wished! And I feel no remorse, no regret for any of that, because while I was with her, I was truly happy and at peace.

I don't know also what will become of our family. Will Lismore's ever-so-righteous peace-loving people slaughter all of you, or will they give you a second chance, I don't know. My hopes are that you will live and that you will live well, and that you will be happy and make the Valentine name endure through the ages! Teren was taken back to her home, to remain secret, hidden in the desert sands as it's been since they came into this world. Do not wonder about her. She's will not be a burden upon you.

I have left you a parting gift. In that grotto, the furthest I ever managed to take you 'outdoors', and you'd complain non-stop about your back and your knees hurting from the walk... Under that big rock you would sit on, the only one you didn't complain that it hurt you to sit, you will find it. Use it wisely!

Destroy this letter after you have read it, it's safer for you that way!

I will always love you!

-Edhel Valentine

Fangshi Valentine, Ruler of Lismore, has denied the assassins' claims, and put the palace on lockdown. Nobody without authorization may enter the palace!