Yes!
10 (100%)
No!
0 (0%)
I don't care either way!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: November 20, 2013, 08:56:00 pm

Author Topic: The Forest Debate!  (Read 10453 times)

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
The Forest Debate!
« on: November 17, 2013, 08:56:00 pm »
So! We have a few 'green areas' in the sim, the Cruentus island has plenty of trees and... forestry space, and there's the Temple, and the island next to the Temple... But, we have no proper 'forest' island.

Back in the old sim, we had an entire level dedicated to the forest in Lismore.

In our new home, now thanks to clever optimizations, we have the resources to put together a forest island. But before I spend days working on it and many sleepless nights making trees and rocks and things for it, I figured it would be interesting to see what sort of demand a forest area really has.

So please vote!

(and ask questions if you have questions!)

Raider Greymoon

• View Profile
Re: The Forest Debate!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 09:04:09 pm »
and it needs hide holes for raccoons to make their homes, and a touch of magic glow, and a ghost that protects the forest creatures... giant trees so big you could live in them. ect... I can do this all day.

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 09:08:43 pm »
and it needs hide holes for raccoons to make their homes, and a touch of magic glow, and a ghost that protects the forest creatures... giant trees so big you could live in them. ect... I can do this all day.

Yes, yes, yes, you love forests!  ;)

Actually Ani has in mind a "guardian" of sorts for the place, if it gets implemented.

Husky Dragon

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 09:17:00 pm »
Yep! The presence of this island would involve an entire event. I do have a guardian of sorts in mind, but who and what it ends up being totally depends on how the event goes. We'll see :3

Aryn Gentlepaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 09:51:03 pm »
I voted yes, and I would love to see some things implemented on that island. Like maybe a swamp like area. Or a forest lake. Or a cavern maybe, with some tombstones, and a crypt or something like that for spooky necromancer play.
Heaven starts with a smile :)

Ausar

• Super Poster
  • Demon of Plenty
    • View Profile
    • Starfall
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 09:56:13 pm »
I've always liked a true forest worthy of the name. Those places can be quite beautiful and usually can be utilized in a lot of ways, especially if you add elements that bring about variety as well as serve as proper hotspots for certain roleplaying situations. I am thinking of stuff like an emerald forest lake, that could be a location where lovers meet and go skinny-dipping as well as the tragic place where someone found a watery grave and maybe his or her spirit lingers at night. Or that mushroom circle where the will-o-wisps always seem to dance. A little section of marshland at the edge of the forest or that old tower, where rumor has it an old witch can be seen going about her business.

An alternative would be to save resources for possible further development of the town. I really like the art style you went for with those houses. Would be nice to have some side streets to the main road, though. I really like how Foxxian's workshop is located hidden behind the infirmary. I would like to see more of that, more shops, little and not-so-little buildings that are part of the town, but not directly at the forefront of everything.
The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.

Lou

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 07:16:02 am »
I don't want to give a lot of input on what the "style" of the forest would be, because I don't understand enough about modding and such to guess what would be possible to do and not. So, with that in mind, I think that a forest island in general would just benefit the RP. There's plenty of characters that are more nature-inclined, or just people that would prefer spaces outside of the city. The island that holds Cruentus, I believe, doesn't fit for this because while there's plenty of greenery around, it has too much occupying it  to make it good to hang around in. The one next to the Temple-island is better, but having a whole island dedicated to a more fleshed-out forest environment would be ideal.

Vote yes.
Too many characters to list.

Hyper weapon.

Ashtyn

• Global Moderator
  • Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 03:07:42 pm »
Alright, since there's an overwhelming 100% majority votes pro-forest, the next phase is determining what to put in it. Grey and Athian have given some vague suggestions. It was mentioned on GroupChat something about a swamp, and I definitely think we can have some bog areas....

...anyone has any ideas for what they'd like to see?  (keep in mind space is limited)

Ausar

• Super Poster
  • Demon of Plenty
    • View Profile
    • Starfall
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 06:27:30 am »
This is a list of things that came to my mind when I was thinking about nice places and objects to have in our forest. Knowing that space is limited, it is quite unlikely to have all of them. And I have no idea how difficult these are to create/implement. But if some of the things mentioned serve as inspiration or affirmation for ideas already being pondered, then I am happy.

Here we go:

• a hollow tree that is used as a dead letter box.
  • a spring feeding a small brook.
  • a campsite with fireplace, logs to sit on, maybe some traces of a recent visit.
  • a giant oak that was once struck by lightning and is now the dead, burned out carcass of a tree. Quite the spooky sight.
  • a circle of mushrooms and unusual flowers, that is rumored to be a threshold to the realm of the fairies. You often see will-o-wisps dancing about.
  • a forest glade filled with wild flowers, perfect place for a picnic.
  • a hunting lodge deep in the forest.
  • an old tower, possibly once (or still?) inhabited by a witch or a mad alchemist.
  • a section of the forest that is mainly filled with fir trees rather than deciduous trees.
  • an emerald forest lake with a boulder next to it where the swimmers can sunbathe on the sun warmed rock during the summer.
  • bushes bearing wild berries, some of them eatable, other probably toxic.
  • a peat bog.
  • a fallen tree serving as a natural bridge over a chasm.

Aryn Gentlepaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 01:31:49 pm »
What Athian said ;)

Also I d like to add:

- a cemetery site, gravestones, maybe a crypt
- ritual site for druidic rites a la stonehenge maybe
- cave/cave system in a hill, maybe used for smuggling stuff, illegal contraband

Xela

• Global Moderator
  • Phoenix Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 01:44:56 pm »
I think the forest should be kept as simple as possible.. I dont like the idea of anyone having property out there or any sign of formal civilisation. I think the things that should be included are:

A small lake/river for skinnydipping
A nice sheltered cave for camping
Some denser woodland for stuff
Maybe a little treehouse area? suitable for one or two people.

And thats all I think is really needed!

Husky Dragon

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 04:37:30 pm »
What Athian said ;)

Also I d like to add:

- a cemetery site, gravestones, maybe a crypt
- ritual site for druidic rites a la stonehenge maybe
- cave/cave system in a hill, maybe used for smuggling stuff, illegal contraband

I'm still against the cemetery due to the lack of use it'll probably see.. The temple can really handle druidic rites already, and we already have a cave system in the city. :)

Ausar

• Super Poster
  • Demon of Plenty
    • View Profile
    • Starfall
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 04:48:40 pm »
I am probably reading to much into it, but I kinda took Ashtyn's words as an invitation to give new ideas that matter to you. Not so much an opening to argue against the ideas of your fellow players. Besides, I am pretty sure that those asking for it are willing to make use of it. ;)

Aryn Gentlepaw

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 04:53:51 pm »
About the cemetery: My necromancer would definitely use it for RP, kinda make it his usual hangout. I also think it would make sense that Lismore does have a cemetery of some sort, either as a remnant from before the uplifting or newly created to house the dead. Unless noone dies anymore or dead bodies get just thrown off the island :D

Well, if it is not much of a space/place taker and not hard to implement, I d really like to see a cemetery.

Husky Dragon

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 05:25:46 pm »
I am probably reading to much into it, but I kinda took Ashtyn's words as an invitation to give new ideas that matter to you. Not so much an opening to argue against the ideas of your fellow players. Besides, I am pretty sure that those asking for it are willing to make use of it. ;)

There is no argument, only discussion. :) That is the purpose of a forum, and there is far from any harm in talking about an idea that not everyone agrees on.

And you have to understand that in the past, people have made the promise to use an area and haven't ended up doing so, so it's not entirely that simple.

And for the cemetery - if you wanted to have a necromancer use it, it'd be best for it to be separate from the forest, as the forest will largely end up being watched over by the temple's scouts, who belong to a faith which generally considers necromancy a capital offense.

So, i'm not against the idea of a cemetery entirely if it'll be used - but the forest probably wouldn't be the ideal place.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:36:29 pm by Husky Dragon »